Wet Pellets that have Decomposed into Saw Dust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
I have at least 3 bags of these I found. Wet from Dealer it seems. I fed part of one into my Harmon XXV and everything seems fine. About 10% of the bag. I know it's best to just throw them away. So don't say that.

How well does the Harmon XXV handle them? They seem to just go into the burn pot and burnup with no difference in ash or smoke or anything I can tell.

Hard to spot these on delivery buried in the 5 tons of Pellets.

I will be checking the fines box on the auger this AM to see what's in there. It just got cleaned couple days ago

You might be able to burn them but won't get the heat since the product is not compressed. I through them on my burn pile in the back yard.

I have at least 3 bags of these I found. Wet from Dealer it seems. I fed part of one into my Harmon XXV and everything seems fine. About 10% of the bag. I know it's best to just throw them away. So don't say that.

Ok I want;ex I would mix them with full pellets and burn em.:ZZZ

Just checked the Fines Box and it's almost clean. Guess they are burning up. Found 4 bags total. Most have big spots in them of wet and frozen pellets. Came that way off the pallet under building and tarp. Rain that got on pellets from other day did nothing. Not enough on the bags and I wiped them dry and moved to where rain can't get them normally. Will pay attention to fines box and burn em.

they will burn like sawdust, and be just that by the time they make it through the auger. then the ones that wont go up the auger just clog up the bottom of the auger so good pellets wont go in.. chuck em!

I take him back to where I bought them and they give me replacement bags more money back. The last ones I bought were delivered from about an hour away and they actually came down and replace them for free

Most bottom feed stoves,such as your harman,are pretty good about pushing fines through.Top feeder stoves,not so much.If it is more than 1/2 cup in a bag,I dump off the pellets,dump the fines out in the yard.

I agree the Harmon seems to handle the junk just fine. I will throw out most of it. Will make excellent traction material on ICE in Driveway. Only 20 bucks worth of pellets, not busting my butt will be worth it.

Just a Update. I found 4 bags. One I put out in driveway over the ice I have by my small PU truck (RAM 3500, Crew Cab, 8ft Bed). Wife says they work great for traction.

3 of them I put thru stove slowly over several days after opening and letting air dry out. Stove (Harmon XXV) chewed them them no problems. I checked fines box couple of time. About 1/3 cup of fines or less I vac out. Stove put out same amount of heat far as I can tell.