What a difference TWO YEARS make

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Woodsheds.. satck it in there after splitting.. no tarping.. no babysitting.. pull the wood out when its dry .. less labor.. its dries quick..

The setup takes time and some upfront labor hours.. but once completed.. you save time.. I made a dedicated processing and log length storage area 2 years ago.. complete with DGA so no mud to content with.. an area that holds 3 cords while we split until were ready to stack.. not having to clean up all the time.. not having to move things around.. best thing I ever did.. processing in the driveway sucked..
Yes some sort of shed is a game changer. I have been using IBC totes which causes me to only pick up the wood once (I buck and split completely on the ground in the "Buckin Billy Ray" style). Once its in the totes they are moved by tractor that I borrow from a neighbor to a high sunny spot on the property and I bring a basket near the house at a time.

I read this and love you guys that get two or three years ahead. I just wonder if you ever go fishing.
The two guys that help me put up my 10-15 cord a year don't like to fish they like to put up firewood. I probably have four years under cover. I even burn year around to heat my domestic water. A few years ago I said to the one maybe I should just burn propane in the off season for water heat. He said what for, what's another three cord of wood, one day of work.

Reactions: all night moe
I read this and love you guys that get two or three years ahead. I just wonder if you ever go fishing.
Yup fishing, hunting and gardening here LOL!

The point is that only once do you have to process 3 years of wood. Once ahead you only process 1 year of wood each year, just to replenish what you burned. And that is the very same as what a person who is not ahead by years does ...

So it's a one time investment of time followed by a lifetime of much more satisfying burning.

The point is that only once do you have to process 3 years of wood. Once ahead you only process 1 year of wood each year, just to replenish what you burned. And that is the very same as what a person who is not ahead by years does ...

So it's a one time investment of time followed by a lifetime of much more satisfying burning.

Maybe I'm just a boring guy that likes making firewood. Don't judge 😁

I will say that I never made 3 years of wood in one year. But every year I make more than I need so that over the course of several years I got to the point I am at now where I am three years ahead. With an extremely mild winter like this one, my stash will only grow faster. I really can't help myself. I still will still make more than enough for a cold winter.

No deadwood worth bringing home today. Just some 2'' Norway sticks. I would have taken some live stuff though. What gets me is the beautiful hickory from one of the other takedowns. Even the limb wood. 3- 8'' straight pieces. Really tight jobsite, required non essential trucks to park around the corner. Got to dark to pick up the wood. Company is going back Wens for that. I'm working with them tomorrow at a different location.

To top of my day, I got a text this morning to grab all the PT lumber from a pool deck. It was just knocked down with an excavator. This lumber was to be my outdoor boiler house/woodshed. I text back after I left todays job. Said I'd grab it tomorrow. Told me to call before I head over, it might be in the dumpster already. What a kick in the nuts.

Planning for a nice score tomorrow of firewood. Hope so.... hour and 45min drive one way. I'd like to bring home something decent. Keeping my head up.

Edit: Oh snap....this was supposed to be in the ''work done 2024'' thread. Nothings going right for me today. Not retyping all this either.
Oh well ..... carry on.

he point is that only once do you have to process 3 years of wood. Once ahead you only process 1 year of wood each year, just to replenish what you burned. And that is the very same as what a person who is not ahead by years does ...

I understand.

I am 68, many more cords behind than left ahead. I like making firewood and burning the same. I love my children, but I have no intention of leaving 15 or 20 cords (full cords) of firewood in my will.

I burn in a USSC Hot Blast old school furnace. In old stoves wood can be too dry. It wants to burn too fast and too hot, so you close down the draft. Now there is low oxygen, no secondary burn smoke. Full of unburnt gases slowly going up the chimney. Condensing copious amounts of creosote inside the same.

The two guys that help me put up my 10-15 cord a year don't like to fish they like to put up firewood. I probably have four years under cover. I even burn year around to heat my domestic water. A few years ago I said to the one maybe I should just burn propane in the off season for water heat. He said what for, what's another three cord of wood, one day of work.

Do you think they would like hanging out on the sandy beaches of Lake Superior?...

I understand.

I am 68, many more cords behind than left ahead. I like making firewood and burning the same. I love my children, but I have no intention of leaving 15 or 20 cords (full cords) of firewood in my will.

I burn in a USSC Hot Blast old school furnace. In old stoves wood can be too dry. It wants to burn too fast and too hot, so you close down the draft. Now there is low oxygen, no secondary burn smoke. Full of unburnt gases slowly going up the chimney. Condensing copious amounts of creosote inside the same.
Perfectly reasonable.
I responded to "do you guys go fishing" (or only work on wood) - and my answer was that barring the "get ahead year(s)" *staying* ahead doesn't take more time than not being ahead at all..

When you’re hungry you’ll eat whatever you can get.
I get to be a whole lot more picky about how many rounds I want to tote up a hill.