What a score Whitfield Advantage II-T Freestanding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy 35

Nov 7, 2007
Hayward,Ca
I just picked up a 1996 Whitfield Advantage II-T. Called the guy up (craigslist Ad) Ad said stove would run on Mediuem fan speed. I ask was it auto start, he said no . I go pick up the stove, Oh my god, this stove was never cleaned, the baffle chamber were full. The back T was never removed and cleaned. I will post some photo's of the dust in the back of the stove blower,auger area, there must be 1/4 inch of dust. Well it ran on mediuem because the thermostat wire came loose. Recrimped the lug, now the blower motor works find. The best part of the whole deal, it had Auto Ignition, I think the Element is bad. I will up-grade the firer pot, replace element. This baby will be working in a few days. The guy had all the orginal paperwork manual. The orginal owner paid 2700. in 1996. This unit has the Big Window( what a plus) WHAT A SCORE.........100.00 Big Ones!!!! That right 100.00 Big ones!!!!

What's your best score, I think I will have a hard time topping this...
Randy
This is my 3rd Whitfield Advantage II-T

My best score. I bought 12 bags of pellets, Got a free 25 pvdc Freestanding stove.

Cool beans!

My best score has been the pellets I bought this year.
$218 a ton shipped to my door for NEWP (green lettered bag).
Oil guy wants 3.10 a gallon and rising so yeah I consider
the pellets a good score. ;-)

Yes you cant go wrong with that
You could replace every part on that stove and still not spend over $800
Good job

Hey guys I just found this forum and its awesome to say the least...I also just scored a Whitfield Advantage II-T...A co-worker bought it new about 10 years ago and it just quit working on him last week. The Auger will not turn on...The light is on but the auger motor does nothing. I bought it from him for $150!!! I thought that sounded like a pretty good deal after reading some posts on here....I am a wood stove guy so I know very little about pellet stoves but learning very quickly thanks to ya'll...He had all the paper work on it and the stove looks like brand new..the glass isnt even dirty. He said they used it maybe 3-4 times/year...I printed off some manuals for it and was checking the stove out last night when I got it home...I unhooked the convection blower so I could hear if the auger was making any noise at all and it wasnt. The auger light does come on and flashes like its running normal. After reading some of the manuals I have I am wondering if it could be the combustion motor thats keeping the auger motor from working? I took the tube off to make sure it wasnt plugged (it was clear)...I am ready to get this thing going!!!!

Well, on the negative side, this thread shows the new buyers of pellet stoves not to expect a high resale value when they get rid of it. You have to consider a used Pellet stove to be worth about zero...That's a steep drop for 2K+. Consider that the VC stove from 1985 in good condition will still bring almost it's original price today.

Webmaster said:
Well, on the negative side, this thread shows the new buyers of pellet stoves not to expect a high resale value when they get rid of it. You have to consider a used Pellet stove to be worth about zero...That's a steep drop for 2K+. Consider that the VC stove from 1985 in good condition will still bring almost it's original price today.

Isnt that a likely scenario with alot of items we buy? I had an ashley woodstove in my basement and it was approx. 1000 dollars new in 86....in 97 I could only get 200 max. Such is life .....depreciation....lol. God I miss that stove lol....

Webmaster said:
I guess you do have a point but Im still just hoping I got a really good deal from someone thats just not very handy and would rather cut his losses than fix it. I feel like I run across alot of good deals like that on the internet. You can ususally tell by talking with someone for a few minutes if they know what they have or not. What is a VC stove??? I have an "earth"brand wood stove that dates back to the mid 80's and new it was about a grand and now they are still selling for upwards of $500 if they are in good shape.

Vermont castings is VC.

Most of their stoves used tend to bring 50% or more of original price. Other older stoves (wood) bring 1/4 to 1/3.

The problem with used pellet stoves is there is often something wrong and the seller is often frustrated....so they pretty much take what they can get.

To most folks it does not matter if they got 10 years of service out of them, but do some math and you will see that the appliances were quite costly to own for those who did not use them a lot. Example: you buy a stove for $2500 installed and use 2 tons a year for 4 years, then 1 ton for 2 years, the stops burning - the is 9 tons total burned. Divide that into the cost of the stove, and you will see that the cost of running the stove was $250 per ton...plus the cost of the pellets.....

So like everything else, it always depends on how much service you get out of it before you have to dump it or give it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.