What about ECHO?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beatlefan

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2015
Urbana, Ohio
Time to buy a new saw. I've decided to go with the ECHO CS-590. I don't see many posts about ECHO saws here. Anyone have comments or advice regarding this saw?

I don't have any Echo saws, but I love my Echo trimmer. From everything I've seen, the CS-590 is a great saw.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: D8Chumley
Nice mid priced saws. I used to sell them 25 years ago, still have a cs440 that I use when I need one (one every few years) that still runs great.

Great saws for the money. They aren't as rugged as the pro saws from the "big 3" but they're sometimes half the price.

The 590 has a great reputation. Performance-wise it's just a bit better than a Stihl MS290, which was a very popular "homeowner" saw, but the 590 has a split magnesium crankcase whereas the MS290 had a plastic chassis and clamshell motor. The Echo is priced more attractively, better-built and easier to work on.

The 590 gets high marks from everyone here who owns one. I used to own a 510 EVL (known affectionately as the "five-ten evil", by those who owned them), and it was stupendously reliable, but lacked in several other areas (most notably high weight for it's modest power).

As a line, the Echo saws are generally lower on performance and features, compared to Stihl and Husqvarna, which is why I believe you see less talk of them. I've owned a ton of Echo equipment, and I don't love any of it, but it has all gotten the job done over the years. I've switched over to buying Stihl for everything, the last few years. Much more expensive, but also much better performance, ergonomics, and just better engineered.

One example of the little things that differentiate Stihl from Echo is that my Echo saw had little tiny filler caps, far too small to actually get a fuel can nozzle or bar oil bottle neck into (funnel required!), and they were hidden under the chain brake lever! I don't think that I ever filled that saw without spilling some fuel and bar oil on the ground... stupid, stupid, stupid! Stihl has nice big filler caps on the side of the saw, you just lay it flat on the sprocket cover, remove the caps, and fill.

Unfortunately, many of these small differences don't become apparent until you've already bought and used the equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
The local husky pro dealer will not sell Husky string trimmers, they only sell Echo.

I own several different brands of saws and the Echo's are very good. I don't personally own a 590 but my buddy does. It's a fantastic saw and the price is amazing. I own 2 Echo saws and they are great.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the great feedback everyone. Sounds like the Echo is a solid choice for the money.

A few years ago I bought a kit of chainsaw repair tools from a small country shop that was closing due to retirement. It had been a Stihl dealership until Stihl forced its smaller dealers out with high minimum annual sales. Looking back, the proprietor told me he probably should've sold Echo instead. He described Echo saws as being maybe a bit old-fashioned, but reliable, easy to work on and a good value, i.e. perfect for his market.

Here it is. I bucked and split a cord of maple yesterday and it performed very well. Seems to have more power than my Husky Rancher 455. I'll update the post this fall, once I've really put it to the test. ECHO SAW.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at my Echo dealer just yesterday20170608_174945[1].jpg . Having intentions of a CS 490. Anyway he had several new in boxes CS 550P for $349.Anyway this saw is being discontinued. 55 CC 20 inch BC 325 chain with a 5 year warranty. Being on a limited budget I walked out with one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at my Echo dealer just yesterdayView attachment 197956 . Having intentions of a CS 490. Anyway he had several new in boxes CS 550P for $349.Anyway this saw is being discontinued. 55 CC 20 inch BC 325 chain with a 5 year warranty. Being on a limited budget I walked out with one.
Looks like a great buy. I got my CS-590 for $319.99. I was on the ECHO website and learned that a dealer in Centerville, OH was having a one day sale. For those looking to buy, the ECHO website has a page with a list of dealers with upcoming one day sales (20% off of everything). The list gives the dealer info and the date that they will have the one day sale. Seems to go thru the month of June.

Here it is. I bucked and split a cord of maple yesterday and it performed very well. Seems to have more power than my Husky Rancher 455. I'll update the post this fall, once I've really put it to the test. View attachment 197941
My cousin has the same one. Works the snot out of it and loves it.

He was running circles around me with my smaller echo.

I was at my Echo dealer just yesterdayView attachment 197956 . Having intentions of a CS 490. Anyway he had several new in boxes CS 550P for $349.Anyway this saw is being discontinued. 55 CC 20 inch BC 325 chain with a 5 year warranty. Being on a limited budget I walked out with one.
My old 50cc Echo turned a 20" bar and chain without any issue, but it had lower chain speed than a modern saw, a better torque ratio on that smaller sprocket. At the same time, my slightly more modern (but very fast!) 63cc Stihl 036 Pro will bog when I bury a 20" bar nose-deep in oak.

You will often see folks saying 20" is too much bar for a 50cc saw, but chain speed does play a role in that, as faster saws require more HP per inch of bar. See how this works for you, but you may also want to keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a 16" or 18" bar and chain.

My old 50cc Echo turned a 20" bar and chain without any issue, but it had lower chain speed than a modern saw, a better torque ratio on that smaller sprocket. At the same time, my slightly more modern (but very fast!) 63cc Stihl 036 Pro will bog when I bury a 20" bar nose-deep in oak.

You will often see folks saying 20" is too much bar for a 50cc saw, but chain speed does play a role in that, as faster saws require more HP per inch of bar. See how this works for you, but you may also want to keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a 16" or 18" bar and chain.
Yeah, I kinda thought that might happen. I actually could've gotten it with an 18" bar, but went with the 20" bar because it was already set up that way.

It might work well enough, depending on your circumstances and the sprocket size on that saw. Good buy, either way. You can fit it with a 16" bar for daily use and keep that 20" in the shed for when you need to tackle something over 30" diameter, or cases where you can only work a tree from one side.

An oversized bar and chain isn't necessarily a bad thing, you just have to use the saw differently. Recognize that a 24" bar doesn't turn your 50cc saw into an 80cc saw, plus you are losing efficiency in that there's more friction with more bar length.

I have an 18" bar on my little 30cc echo most of the time. I am obviously not going to bury it in oak and expect it to rip through, but I find the big bar is more utilitarian (I use the saw mostly for limbing, and the extra 4" of reach gets a little nicer every year).

I wouldn't want an oversized bar for bucking though; that job makes my 65cc saw sweat enough with a stock length bar. :)

Reactions: kevin j
Looks like a great buy. I got my CS-590 for $319.99. I was on the ECHO website and learned that a dealer in Centerville, OH was having a one day sale. For those looking to buy, the ECHO website has a page with a list of dealers with upcoming one day sales (20% off of everything). The list gives the dealer info and the date that they will have the one day sale. Seems to go thru the month of June.

That's what my son got his for. They were having a 20% off day locally. Hard to beat that deal.

As to my reply, I was concerned that this CS550 would pull a 20 BC in 3/8 pitch.I looked in the owners manual and it was listed in 3/8 pitch on a 20 bar and chain.Ken

The max bar size listed in your manual is based on the capacity of the oiler pump, it is not an endorsement of sawing performance in any species with that bar length. Most of us find joy in running a bar toward the middle of the range listed for their saw, as that's where it will really sing. Those cutting all softwoods on the west coast get away with longer bars than those cutting oak and ash in the northeast.