What about ECHO?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Echo PB-250 just gave up the ghost today. Picking up a Stihl BG-86 on the way home from work, tomorrow. This is used to blow off walkways and porch after each mowing, and to blow leaves out of gardens in the spring.

Pilot error?

Nah, something loose internally. Sounds like a failed connecting rod bolt. If I liked it, I'd open it up and find out, but I'm using it as an excuse for replacement. I was never fond of it.

My Echo PB-250 just gave up the ghost today. Picking up a Stihl BG-86 on the way home from work, tomorrow. This is used to blow off walkways and porch after each mowing, and to blow leaves out of gardens in the spring.

Have you considered Stihl's 4-stroke Kombi yard tool system? I've had a KM-130 for years and really like it. For attachments I've got the hedge trimmer, pole pruner, weed whacker w/string and hard disc blades and the blower. All are excellent.

I know Stihl claims the BG-86 is their most powerful blower but their own specs shows the KM-130 R moves over 25% more air at the same velocity. If you don't need that powerful of a blower you can always move to a lighter powerhead (like the KM-110). In fact, if I had to do it again, I would have bought the KM-110 to begin with because the only time I've felt the KM-130 wasn't over-powered was when sawing through big limbs with the pole saw.

As an added benefit, you get the intoxicating deep, rumbling sound of a four-stroke. It's like having a mini-hot-rod in your hand and is silly fun to blip the throttle. And who doesn't want a silly grin on their face when facing the otherwise mundane task of cleaning up their yard?

Reactions: beatlefan
Have you considered Stihl's 4-stroke Kombi yard tool system? I've had a KM-130 for years and really like it. For attachments I've got the hedge trimmer, pole pruner, weed whacker w/string and hard disc blades and the blower. All are excellent.

I know Stihl claims the BG-86 is their most powerful blower but their own specs shows the KM-130 R moves over 25% more air at the same velocity. If you don't need that powerful of a blower you can always move to a lighter powerhead (like the KM-110). In fact, if I had to do it again, I would have bought the KM-110 to begin with because the only time I've felt the KM-130 wasn't over-powered was when sawing through big limbs with the pole saw.

As an added benefit, you get the intoxicating deep, rumbling sound of a four-stroke. It's like having a mini-hot-rod in your hand and is silly fun to blip the throttle. And who doesn't want a silly grin on their face when facing the otherwise mundane task of cleaning up their yard?
Yes, I already have that, as well. I use my KM-130 R for my bed redefiner, string trimmer, and pole saw. This works fine, as the bed redefiner and pole saw are occasional-use tools, and I just leave the motor connected to the string trimmer 99% of the time. However, I would not want a blower on this system, as the ergonomics are not quite as good as a dedicated blower, and I'd have to constantly switch the motor back and forth from string trimmer to blower. I believe the Kombi is great, as long as you're dealing with occasional-use tools, but it's just not worth the hassle for something you use frequently.

I went to our local dealer and grabbed the BG-86 this morning, and was standing at the register with it in my hand ready to pay, when he told me they'd have to gas it up and run it and that I'd have to take five minutes to register the tool before I could take it. I didn't have a spare ten minutes, on my way to another meeting, so I walked out without it. I'll have to stop again later in the week, when I have a few more minutes, and pick it up. Stihl sure makes buying a cheap piece of equipment unnecessarily difficult.

Last edited:
However, I would not want a blower on this system, as the ergonomics are not quite as good as a dedicated blower, and I'd have to constantly switch the motor back and forth from string trimmer to blower. I believe the Kombi is great, as long as you're dealing with occasional-use tools, but it's just not worth the hassle for something you use frequently.

I agree, the ergonomics of the multi-purpose tool does suffer in blower mode and, if you use the blower a lot, is a very good reason to have a dedicated blower. Don't really understand the problem with switching the motor. I just lay all the accessories I'm going to use on the lawn and, when it's time for a new tool it takes all of 15 seconds to switch attachments.

Stihl sure makes buying a cheap piece of equipment unnecessarily difficult.

I know, I find that inconvenient as well. But I know why they do it, to protect themselves from ignorant homeowners! You and I may know how to read a manual and use the tool, but many homeowners just assume they know more than the people who created it. I'll never understand that mentality! Stihl probably reduces unnecessary warranty claims by a significant amount by requiring their dealers to start the tool up in front of the homeowner and instruct on basic usage. Because the number of people who don't know everything and who can't or won't read the manual is surprising.

Reactions: kevin j and Ashful
I agree, the ergonomics of the multi-purpose tool does suffer in blower mode and, if you use the blower a lot, is a very good reason to have a dedicated blower. Don't really understand the problem with switching the motor. I just lay all the accessories I'm going to use on the lawn and, when it's time for a new tool it takes all of 15 seconds to switch attachments.

I know, I find that inconvenient as well. But I know why they do it, to protect themselves from ignorant homeowners! You and I may know how to read a manual and use the tool, but many homeowners just assume they know more than the people who created it. I'll never understand that mentality! Stihl probably reduces unnecessary warranty claims by a significant amount by requiring their dealers to start the tool up in front of the homeowner and instruct on basic usage. Because the number of people who don't know everything and who can't or won't read the manual is surprising.

I agree with the gassing it and firing it part of that process, but forcing me to do an online registration is just over-reaching marketing BS. This ain't a car, or even a tractor, it's a cheap handheld blower that costs about as much as a good dinner.

I agree with the gassing it and firing it part of that process, but forcing me to do an online registration is just over-reaching marketing BS. This ain't a car, or even a tractor, it's a cheap handheld blower that costs about as much as a good dinner.

I just bought a MS 261 C-M and the local dealer filled out the warranty right in front of me and returned it to Stihl with no action on my part, explaining "we fill out the warranty registration for you". Purchase process took about 10 minutes (which was about 9 minutes longer than I wanted) but I got a free tank of gas and bar oil out of the deal, LOL! I was shocked to see no visible smoke come out of a brand new motor as he rev'ed it 8 or 10 times to around 9,000 rpm's in quick succession so there was always a load on the motor during throttling. He said, "We recommend you always run 50:1" and recommended the full synthetic oil. I told him I'd been using that for years at 50:1 with perfect results and was out the door.

One of the things I love about living in a small town is the friendly service.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
FWIW, I have the Echo CS-590 and I love it. Great value, always gets the job done.

Reactions: Grateful11
Seems like everyone that runs a CS590 likes it including me. Owners need to open up the pea sized muffler deflector and tune right for quite a bit more power than stock. Steve

Reactions: Ashful