what angle to use on electric chain sharpener

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco1963

Dec 24, 2010
east central indiana
hi all
i bought a bench mount chain sharpener from menards and was wondering
what angle is best when sharpening a .325 chainsaw chain with a electric bench grinder?

my owners manuel doesnt give any clues so here i am:)

Most recommend that Stihl chain be sharpened at 30 degres with a zero offset (90 degrees, or flat across). That said, I notice that most of my Stihl chains come from the factory sharpened at 35 degrees, zero offset. 35 degees will cut faster but also dull faster. I have had some .325 small mount bar chain sharpened at 25 dergees on some of my previous Stihl saws for some reason, but that seems pretty low of an angle. I do not use .325 any more and I switched all my large mout Stihl saws to 3/8 sandard bars and chains.

30 degrees should work fine though.

tuco1963, I set the back at 60 and the angles at 30, make sure you set your depth.

zap

30° is a common angle. 35° cuts quicker but dulls quicker. 25° will not cut as fast, but will hold the edge longer....

All depends on how much you cut and what you cut...

Your chain should have come with the specs either on paper or printed right on the box.

Cut them at 30 degrees 60 on the tilt now anything from 25-35 will work the closer you get to 35 the more aggressive it will be. If your saw has less horse power you want to be closer to the 25 degrees.

Reactions: ScotO
hi and thanks all for your input
also a big thanks to bubba3228

Status
Not open for further replies.