What are options for zero clearance fireplaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think the dropping of the ZC is simply a marketing decision.
Apparently, the Pioneer series have hot faces. The smaller Pioneer II also has 16" clearance to the header.
FWIW, the Quad 7100 clearances:
» 1” fireplace to back wall
» 1” fireplace to sidewall

The shallow firebox in the Pioneer line is a no deal for me, if I could put up with east west loading for the price point Valcourt by SBI would be my choice. Dad is wanting to build a 2100sqft hose with open floor plan vaulted ceilings in the great room and kitchen. I think a Valcourt Lafayette would work well dad like the looks of it and is ok with east east loading. I am trying to persuade him into a Pacific Energy FP30 the lager firebox and north south loading would be beneficial. I have not checked the price on these yet I can not find current online pricing for PE. Our other thought is an alcove or rear vent free standing stove. We like the idea of a Quadrafire Isle Royal or Hearthstone Bennington, but those would have to be used. Currently not many options in rear vent top or side load non cat stoves.