What are options for zero clearance fireplaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snoochers

Mar 9, 2020
Can
I am toying with the idea of getting a zero clearance, low profile, large viewing, modern wood-burning fireplace for a new house. I would prefer if it was efficient, but frankly the look is more important. I've found some options from Stuv, RSF, Renaissance, Napoleon, Valcourt, Town & Country, Regency, and Spartherm, with the Renaissance ones I think having the best look generally.

What brands am I missing? Note that it must be certified for use in North America, so many European offerings are out.

To be honest, i wouldn't put money out for a new install that inefficient. I would take a look at an Osburn Matrix insert or something similar.

If efficiency is not important than cost of fuel doesn’t matter. Have you looked at the gas burning options? They can be quite realistic and of course no noise or effort required.

If efficiency is not important than cost of fuel doesn’t matter. Have you looked at the gas burning options? They can be quite realistic and of course no noise or effort required.

Cost of fuel does matter indeed, and gas would cost me a fair bit in the long run. I would harvest my own wood, so it would essentially be free.w

To be honest, i wouldn't put money out for a new install that inefficient. I would take a look at an Osburn Matrix insert or something similar.

That unit has a viewing area the size of a box of tissues. As I mentioned, I'm hoping for something larger. Stuv and Spartherm have large and efficient units, so I may buy one of those if efficiency is an issue. But should I spend 3k more on a more efficient unit? 3k would cover my wood for my lifetime nearly.

Reactions: TomasB
Efficiency is not important but fuel costs are? Hmmm. Well, firewood is lovely.

I would avoid odd ball foreign manufacturers due to warranty problems, parts availability, tech assistance, code compliance, resale value, long term support, deAler network, etc. Do yourself a favor and choose from a North American manufacturer.

Do a search on the forums here for zero. There are many good zero clearance fireplaces.

And where are you guys getting efficiency is not importaint? He stated that he would prefer good efficiency but looks are more important.

I've searched for zero clearance and have come up with the list I included in my OP. If you know of others, I'm all ears! This is why I'm here!

Reactions: Rachy
Im no professional but there is a post right both this one right now:

Again do a search on the site and some reading and I am sure you will find some other selections.

Im no professional but there is a post right both this one right now:

Again do a search on the site and some reading and I am sure you will find some other selections.

I have done a thorough search, that is how I landed on so many brands. That discussion you posted refers to a fireplace with about 40% of the viewing area I am looking at.

Take a look at the Valcourt FP11 Frontenac. That has a huge opening with a guillotine glass door. The fireplace has almost a 10 cu ft capacity. I've seen this and it is a monster. For an efficient fireplace, the FP15 Waterloo is their largest.

Napoleon makes the NZ8000 which is very large too. I have not seen this one, but it has a very large viewing area.

Take a look at the Valcourt FP11 Frontenac. That has a huge opening with a guillotine glass door. The fireplace has almost a 10 cu ft capacity. I've seen this and it is a monster. For an efficient fireplace, the FP15 Waterloo is their largest.

Napoleon makes the NZ8000 which is very large too. I have not seen this one, but it has a very large viewing area.

thanks! I’ve had a look at these online and they’re certainly on my list!!

thanks! I’ve had a look at these online and they’re certainly on my list!!

Hi Snoochers. I'm looking for the exact same type of fireplace you for our new construction home in Oregon. I talked to a Napoleon dealer here and he said they are discontinuing the NZ7000 which was disappointing. The Renaissance Linear 50 and the Valcourt Frontenac and St Laurent look nice. The other ones I've seen is the Majestic SB100 although it doesn't have glass. Have you found a place to buy the Spartherm? I couldn't find a place in the US that carried them. Also the Town and Country doesn't appear to make the TCW120 anymore. Have you found one yet?

Reactions: Snoochers
Hi Snoochers. I'm looking for the exact same type of fireplace you for our new construction home in Oregon. I talked to a Napoleon dealer here and he said they are discontinuing the NZ7000 which was disappointing. The Renaissance Linear 50 and the Valcourt Frontenac and St Laurent look nice. The other ones I've seen is the Majestic SB100 although it doesn't have glass. Have you found a place to buy the Spartherm? I couldn't find a place in the US that carried them. Also the Town and Country doesn't appear to make the TCW120 anymore. Have you found one yet?
I landed on the STUV 21-125, which is beautiful and efficient. A lot of people sell Spartherm so you should be able to find a dealer if you look around in your area.

Pacific energy makes a great zero clearance fireplace I just installed one
If I had that option I would have assuredly went in that direction. I had an Alderlea T5 in my old house and LOVED it. Built like a tank and easy operation.

I bought a house that had a VC Winterwarm ZC unit in it about 6yrs ago and just got around to finally replacing it this year. My choices were an Osburn Stratford 2, Hearthstone Montgomery WFP-75 or a Majestic WarmMajic 2. We went with the Hearthstone. I liked the looks and wanted to stay away from the double doors of the others.

It is hooked up and inspected and we've done some break in fires. Seems to be pretty straight forward in operation (although I think my door hinges and/or handle need to be adjusted, as the primary air control seems to not make much of a difference in our break in fires).

Reactions: PAbeech
If I had that option I would have assuredly went in that direction. I had an Alderlea T5 in my old house and LOVED it. Built like a tank and easy operation.

I bought a house that had a VC Winterwarm ZC unit in it about 6yrs ago and just got around to finally replacing it this year. My choices were an Osburn Stratford 2, Hearthstone Montgomery WFP-75 or a Majestic WarmMajic 2. We went with the Hearthstone. I liked the looks and wanted to stay away from the double doors of the others.

It is hooked up and inspected and we've done some break in fires. Seems to be pretty straight forward in operation (although I think my door hinges and/or handle need to be adjusted, as the primary air control seems to not make much of a difference in our break in fires).
I didn't realize this was from last year🤣

Pacific energy makes a great zero clearance fireplace I just installed one
What model did you get? How do you like it so far? If you don't mind me asking what was the ball park figure for just the fireplace? I am doing ongoing research for my parents who are contemplating building a new house.

What model did you get? How do you like it so far? If you don't mind me asking what was the ball park figure for just the fireplace? I am doing ongoing research for my parents who are contemplating building a new house.
I got the pacific energy fp16 zc unit and I love it. It's a 1.6cf firebox so it's somewhat small, they offer bigger sizes in the zero clearance line of products. It's extremely efficient though I've had no issues at all with it. It cost around 2500-3000$ I can't remember how much exactly but that's a ball park. If your parents have a bigger house say more then 2,000 sqft I would atleast go with the pe fp25zc

Reactions: Rachy and raiderfan
How so? It looks like a ZC and a big one at that. The digital thermostat on the air control is interesting.
Unlike the 7100 and other ZC's they have left the ZC off this one on any marketing material, found that odd.

Also in the specs it lists the clearances:

CLEARANCES ENCLOSED AREA
» 1” fireplace to back wall
» 1-1/2” fireplace to sidewall
» 16” Top of fireplace to header
EXPOSED SURFACES
» 16” faceplate to sidewall
» 12” heat zone air grilles to ceiling MINIMUM HEARTH
» 20” deep x 42” wide centered in front of fireplace
MANTEL CLEARANCE
» Position combustible mantel 66” from base of fireplace
» Position non-combustible mantel 46” from the base of the fireplace