What are the steps to replace a Harman Advanced Ignitor and how do you check the air door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I am working on a Harman Advanced.
Looks like a 306 watts and 120v with 15 fins.
Can someone please tell me how to remove and replace the ignitor. Also how to check the air flap for proper operation?

Is the first step to remove the wing nuts on the little cover under the burnpot?

Attachments

• 1017121815.jpg
    1017121815.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 574
Hello

I am working on a Harman Advanced.
Looks like a 306 watts and 120v with 15 fins.
Can someone please tell me how to remove and replace the ignitor.

Remove the two 1/4"hex head zip screws just above the access plate. The ignitor & its cradle will drop down. Grab the assembly & gently pull the wiring through the the wall & into the ignitor cavity. You may have to access the back of the unit to disconnect some wire ties, if this is the first ignitor replacement. Once you get it out, remove the ignitor from the cradle by gently bending one end...Replace the ignitor in the exact position you removed it from...Reconnect the wires, reattach the cradle & from the rear, gently pull most of the wires back out of the ignitor cavity...

Also how to check the air flap for proper operation?

The air flap should "flap" freely with no obstructions...it should only move inwards and not swing out wards. You can tap it with a finger to see if it's free...

Is the first step to remove the wing nuts on the little cover under the burnpot?

Yes...Those thumbscrews (not wingnuts, but similar) will loosen the access cover so you can get into the ignitor cavity...

Thanks Daksy

Where is that flap? How do I get to it?

Should be on the lower left rear, as you look at the stove from the front. If you take a look at the rear of the unit the sheet metal shroud may have a punch out covering the fresh air intake...The flapper is in the intake tube...

http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/Accentra.pdf

Look at figure 23

Ok, Thank-you.

This unit has an OAK so I will remove and check.
However we can get it to burn manually just fine so that would prove the flapper is working right?

The igniter must be bad.

Thanks again!

You can download a manual from the Harman website. It has a good breakdown of the stove w/part #.

Thanks

I wanted to pick up a Harman to get familiar with it but I keep missing the bargains! I saw a 6 year old Harman Advanced for $900.00 but before I could blink my eyes it was gone!

Thanks

I wanted to pick up a Harman to get familiar with it but I keep missing the bargains! I saw a 6 year old Harman Advanced for $900.00 but before I could blink my eyes it was gone!

That's a rally good price, Don...They're going for almost $4K...

Thanks

What really sucks... I found a 06 XXV for $900 as well that's works ... Had to walk because the wife said we already have one and we don't need it....

You can test that ignitor to see if it is bad. If it's a 15 fin that means it isn't that old and I would be looking elsewhere for the problem before throwing $100 at an ignitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.