What are these 2” pipe plugs??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeeper

Dec 18, 2018
Lake Arrowhead, CA
What are these 2” pipe plugs in the hearth?

Plan on pouring 2-1/2” of concrete to level the floor before sliding my insert in. I’m curious what these pipes are for and if I should be raising them.

Thanks

Attachments

• 219AB87E-6F24-46FE-B35F-7ECD7571AA3D.jpeg
    219AB87E-6F24-46FE-B35F-7ECD7571AA3D.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 101
Were they wires were run for Electricity and they have since been capped off? Best Guess. One AC and other controls for Gas Logs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows, have you removed the caps and investigated? Maybe they were to provide a threaded base for some kind of exotic grate system that supplies combustion air?

Is the capped gas line shut off with a valve too?

FWIW, you don't need to pour in cement. A layer or two of cement board fit in the fireplace floor will do the same thing. It's easier and reversible.

I have not pulled the caps off yet but I will this afternoon. Unlikely they have wires but if they go somewhere to route some I’d like to use one of them for that.

Yes the capped gas line is valved off. Next will be removing it from the gas meter altogether.

As for pouring concrete. I want to pour concrete level with the hearth rock so it looks better between the stove and the walls for now. Originally made a steel frame for the insert to sit on. Later I’ll fabricate a surround or do some masonry.

I will report back on what’s inside the pipes.