What are these buggers from a fresh cut tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnbug

Nov 22, 2022
Mass
Picked up my neighbors fresh cut tree. Just noticed these little things today. They barely move. What are they? Any precautions to take?

I just realized the black spot in the se one pic is a hole bunch of them. I thought it was rottting wood!
20240319_182742.jpg
20240319_182753.jpg
20240319_182733.jpg

Until you said they moved, I was thinking mouse turds.

Was it really cold when they were barely moving? If they jump when it’s warmer, maybe springtails. They feed on mold. Inside a tree could be a happy place for them. No idea other than that.

They look like snow fleas, a type of springtail. Harmless, just feed on organic matter. Probably didn’t come from the wood. They’re just around and wind up on everything.

Yup, they look like snow fleas. This explains what I saw hiking on the wood/snow. Thry where jumping like dog fleas. Pulled my dog back real quick

Reactions: bigealta