What bugs make long thin shavings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don’t have anything like that in my area, but the clicking noises remind me of the descriptions of death watch beetles/old house borers.

I don’t have anything like that in my area, but the clicking noises remind me of the descriptions of death watch beetles/old house borers.
Almost looks like noodles from a chainsaw.

My guess is pine sawyer beetles. They move into pines that have been cut quickly. Once they move into a log they work on the outer diameter and work their way in. Sitting nearby on quiet day they are quite noisy. If the bark is stripped off the log early they will not move in. They do leave some course sawdust that could look like strips.

Reactions: Teachme
I've seen 1 whitespotted sawyer beetle. I thought it was an ALB. So, those are in the adirondacks.

These are the shavings from the clicking death watch beetles. Never was able to see one but the noise and shavings pretty much says that's what did it.

bugs.jpeg