What causes rust inside the stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hemphill

Dec 4, 2018
SE PA
Considering a used stove, wondering if this interior rust is a sign of something wrong or just relatively normal for a stove that sat unused a lot? Yes I asked for more pictures. Obviously I'm not an expert it seemed hard to imagine how rust would form on the inside of a stove.

1697105638594.png

It happens to some degree pretty frequently. Moisture of course does it, but also the heat in a stove causes rust as well believe it or not- or at least it accelerates it.

Reactions: hemphill
Condensation from temperature changes, and rain trickling down the flue are probably the big causes of humidity in the stove. You have creosote in there too. I dont see anything in there that'd scare me, but there's lots you could see from outside the stove and inside the stove that isn't visible in that pic.

Condensation from temperature changes, and rain trickling down the flue are probably the big causes of humidity in the stove. You have creosote in there too. I dont see anything in there that'd scare me, but there's lots you could see from outside the stove and inside the stove that isn't visible in that pic.
Any other inspection tips?

Look for signs of abuse. Warping, cracks, grayed paint beyond normal. If we knew what stove it was or how old we could tell you more.

It's a pacific energy super classic, not sure the age right now waiting for more details from seller
These are pretty rugged stoves. Look for baffle sagging and serious spalling of the firebrick.