What chains you guys running on your Echo Timberwolfs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
My stock chain is great and I'm not opposed to buying another. But I thought I would ask the room before I make a decision.

I'm going to be bucking and splitting about 5 cords this coming weekend and want to be prepared.

Thanks guys!

In general, I use full chisel Stihl chain on all my saws, regardless of brand. That would be RS chain. The low kickback ("safety chain") version of that Stihl chain is RS3.

Oregon chain in 3/8 pitch that's similar to to Stihl RS is Oregon LGX.

- - - - -

On my smallest saws, it's sometimes difficult to find full chisel Stihl chain without clunky "safety chain" features, so I use Woodland Pro on those.

I really like this model on my pole pruner:
https://www.baileysonline.com/Chain...2-Chainsaw-Chain-Loop-34LP-44-Drive-Links.axd

Last edited:
Reactions: sportbikerider78
My stock chain is great and I'm not opposed to buying another. But I thought I would ask the room before I make a decision.

I'm going to be bucking and splitting about 5 cords this coming weekend and want to be prepared.

Thanks guys!

nice chainsaw!

Up that to a 24" bar with the 72LPX81CQ chisel chainsaw blade and youll cut through anything. This is the saw i own.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
Remember that the saw uses a non standard driver count of 70 rather than 72.
Timmy,

What does this mean? I recently bought this saw and was planning to grab a second chain. I've got the 20" bar. Does this not use a standard chain?

For 3/8 pitch, some 20" bars specify 72 DL, and other 20" bars specify 70 DL.

Just get the chain with the number of DL indicated by the stamp on your bar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dug8498
For future reference, these days all modern bars and chains are standardized.

Everything you need to know for getting a replacement chain is stamped on the bar.

For compatibility, pitch, gauge, and number of DL are all you need to know.

Sometimes you need to know if the replacement chain is standard kerf or narrow kerf (NK). Standard kerf and NK chains can run on NK bars. You should not run NK chain on a standard kerf bar. NK bars have a special symbol in the stamp area. It's usually two vertical parallel lines that become narrow at the top.

For future reference, these days all modern bars and chains are standardized.

Everything you need to know for getting a replacement chain is stamped on the bar.

For compatibility, pitch, gauge, and number of DL are all you need to know.

Sometimes you need to know if the replacement chain is standard kerf or narrow kerf (NK). Standard kerf and NK chains can run on NK bars. You should not run NK chain on a standard kerf bar. NK bars have a special symbol in the stamp area. It's usually two vertical parallel lines that become narrow at the top.
Thank you did not know this