What corner should the stove go in? Window Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nugen

Sep 8, 2018
Ottawa, Canada
Hey all

As I get ready to install a wood stove at my cottage, I’m wondering if I can place it in a corner that has two windows??

We have two spots available - one is in the true corner of the cottage, backing onto two windows. The other is an interior half wall dividing my kitchen and dining room, about 1/4 into the cottage building.

At first I wanted to put t against this interior half wall but in second thought we might renovate the kitchen and this take down the little half wall - where the fire place may be located

Is there any concern or considerations I need to make for installing it backing onto windows?

Here is the corner

Attachments

• 4A5B1AA4-95D2-47D5-9308-A964756FD9AA.jpeg
    4A5B1AA4-95D2-47D5-9308-A964756FD9AA.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 714
With that corner placement you have to consider how far out the stove will need to sit in order to meet the clearances to combustibles (wood in the windows, for example). Get some schematics for the stoves your are considering and use cardboard cutouts on the floor to see how far out into the room the stove and hearth will sit. This should help a lot in deciding if you like the spot.

Thanks

To clarify I am expecting my stove to have about 3 to 4 inch distances needed from the back corners of the stove to the combustible materials. Even if I'm 4 inchs out I think I would still be happy and not concerned ... I'm wondering if I need to be worried about the window/glass?

I guess there is no concern except for distance to combustibles?

Thanks

3-4 inches?

What stove does that?

None.

In response to your wonderment over the impact of having a stove so close the glass windows: I would think you would lose some of the stove's heat through the windows. Anyone who has taken any readings on their windows using their IR thermometer knows how much colder the glass is than the solid walls of the house. If the windows are letting the cold into the house it stands to reason that they will also be letting heat out of the house. As to how much of an impact this heat loss will be on heating the rest of the house I wouldn't be able to offer an opinion. I know that the radiant heat coming off a stove heats up everything it hits and this provides the majority of the heat in the house when you burn your stove.

I think I'd be a bit concerned about how the heat will affect the windows too (if its insulated). We are building a house and I was careful to place the closest window about 6' down the wall from the center of the flue just in case.

It should be ok with a stove that is well shielded on the rear and sides if the stove is connected with double-wall stove pipe.

Me neither, I've seen some BK's that allow 6" but the corner to corner flue of nearly 18" makes it a little more than 6" (IIRC).
The BK 30's are 4'' clearance to corners.

Here is the corner
I have mine next to a window, with clearances to window trim and it hasn't been a problem.
P_20171207_160208.jpg

I'd be more worried about heat loss and damaging window seals than anything. Window replacements are not cheap.