What do you call your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebroad

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
Carroll County, MD
A lot of times when I am working with the woodpiles, my mind starts coming up with affectionate names for some of the wood ;em;ex
Along with the usual nicknames that we all use, i.e., uglies, rounds, punk, etc., how do you describe what is in your piles? (Oh gad, I didn’t mean to say that)

CLUNKWOOD (Too wet or too green)
CLINKWOOD (Well seasoned)
KNOTWOOD (AKA Uglies)
WETWOOD (Rained on and such)
MUDWOOD (What one dealer unloaded on me last year)
CHUNKWOOD ( small pieces cut from too-long splits)
TRASHWOOD (Tulip poplar, Tree of Heaven, and such)
PULPWOOD (Self explanatory)
ANTWOOD OR BUGWOOD (Self explanatory--ugh)

My wife has a special name for my wo..o....d.... oh you mean the wood you burn!!!!! sorry.. carry on.

I always end up with some "shorties".

Reactions: firebroad
Fuel.

Farwood.

The Good, the Bad, & the Uglies; used for bitter cold days (good), shoulder season (bad), fire pit (uglies). My wife even knows which stack is which and which end of the stack is seasoned. For some reason she always goes for the 2 year red oak.

KaptJaq

Winston.

Generally uglies, nice or crap. A good piece that is tough or challenging I often call "Buford", among other unfit to print names on occasion...

Man, I'm thinking this topic is proof of certifiability... ;)

We get "turdwood" every once in a while that have some kind of rodent turds stuck to the wood.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
We get "turdwood" every once in a while that have some kind of rodent turds stuck to the wood.
Ew. I'll have to be more careful when I bring it in.<>

BTU batteries.

BTUs, good stuff, uglies & gnarlys.

"Money" is a good one ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.