What do you do when it is too warm to burn during the burning season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you ran a cable around both pairs of uprights and used a truck to put some draw on the cable, you could chuck those too-hard-to-split rounds (and anything else you didn't like) about a mile.

("Where'd my boom box go?" "Somewhere over the rainbow. Well, parts of it, anyway. It didn't withstand the launching process very well.")
You think like I used to before becoming institionalized by the grind of office work. You have a lot of refreshing posts, reminds me of better times when life was less work, more fun.

After the fire ban we are enjoying a cast-iron Chimenia outside with the sounds of coyotes and whoot owels in the background.

Maybe they're not coyotes but Coy-
Wolfes

What's going on here, Jason? Looks interesting, I usually delimb after the tree is down. Plans for the standing trunks?
I'm taking the trees down for a friend and we both have limited free time. There were four spruce and some sort of fir that were around an in-ground pool that needed to be topped prior to felling. I left the trunks standing so we don't have to work around them while chipping.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
20170218_152017.jpg

The weather here is like that of late March or early April. Ive been able to get a good start on next years wood pile. To keep things from getting boring I switched back and forth today on sanding the cabin. I left off in November when the cold weather hit. I was using scaffolding to reach the peak but I hated it with a passion. About mid December I picked up a manlift and didnt expect to get a chance to try it out until spring but wasnt even sure if that would be feasible because it may be to wet to get the manlift through the yard. I may just take some time off this week to finish this project up!IMG_20170219_144749939_zpsfh7pxew1.jpg IMG_20170219_144403177_zpsgbyygdtr.jpg IMG_20170219_144635862_HDR_zpsojm1oopq.jpg

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
The weather here is like that of late March or early April. Ive been able to get a good start on next years wood pile. To keep things from getting boring I switched back and forth today on sanding the cabin. I left off in November when the cold weather hit. I was using scaffolding to reach the peak but I hated it with a passion. About mid December I picked up a manlift and didnt expect to get a chance to try it out until spring but wasnt even sure if that would be feasible because it may be to wet to get the manlift through the yard. I may just take some time off this week to finish this project up!View attachment 194944 View attachment 194945 View attachment 194946
Nice setup! I rented a lift like that when I put my liner in the chimney. I'd sure like to have one around here more often.

Or Wolfowls! Gotta watch out for them.
I'm not sure what the wolfowl is but it sounds scary as it might sweep down and grab one of the Younghans up. We have one (assume) owl that sits on the ladder rack of the truck at night and looks for rabbits vermin etc. He even walks on the roof and it sounds like somebody walking on the roof. We have seen bear several places in the immediate area and my neighbors keep telling me that they've seen a group of bear come down our driveway often but as of yet we haven't seen them. One evening we were all sitting outside and it sounded like a child running through the woods crying "waw" I quests it was a baby bear. Our trail cam has picked up foxes and a couple of coyotes. One morning, on a motorcycle ride about a year and a half ago, we saw a mountain lion run across the road. From head to tail it was half the width of the road and in full sprint. With all that said and the dangers therein a wolfowl might be more than we can stand. We will not be sleeping out tonight.

Or Wolfowls! Gotta watch out for them.
Maybe I missed this? A Coy-Wolf is the offspring of the Wolf coyote mix. Supposedly The coyotes are migrating north east into Eastern wolf territory and mating. The Coy Wolf has the short snout of the coyote and the long fluffy tail of the wolf. One morning while running errands I saw one near my neighbors field of cows, it definitely did not look like a coyote and it was almost all white.

To avoid MY confusion and inaccuracies

http://www.coywolf.org/coywolf-basic-info/

Last edited:
Start shooting. No place for predators!

I will say one evening we were all sleeping out in the tents and I was a little concerned due to what sounded like hundreds of yipping yapping coyotes in the distance. Then about 330 in the morning it sounded like there was three or four of them less than 100 yards away. I must admit I was so shaken that evening I couldn't make up my mind who to cuddle up closer to, Horace or Daniel ;)

Last night we had a good pile around me. There is a 1/2 section of waterfowl production across the road from me and they all use that as a refuge. All my neighbors and myself have livestock so I have free reign to send rounds down range. Infrared technology is amazing.

Reactions: webby3650
The haunting howloot of the wolfowl is not something you will forget in a hurry, but they are not known to be man-eaters, unlike their larger cousin the owlbear.

On the other hand, wolfowl droppings are quite large and can reach significant velocity when dropped from a thousand feet up.

I had to soak up the sun and my wife took the kids to a birthday party. So I got to do what I wanted. Split wood, shoot guns, smoke some chicken on the Webber, split some more wood. 21559f2b2f362fe8fe4bd1818d07b0b9.jpg
9aebf553da25feee86ec8f9af3688095.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: VirginiaIron