what do you guys mean when you use the term "bridging" ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I call bridging when the wood burns from the bottom up but it doesn't fall down onto itself and keep coals. It will form a small "bridge" with a air gap under the pile so the coals will not stay on top of the nozzles so they loose gasification. A quick poke and it falls down onto itself and problem is fixed but its a pain to keep stirring it every once in a while.

sdrobertson said:
I call bridging when the wood burns from the bottom up but it doesn't fall down onto itself and keep coals. It will form a small "bridge" with a air gap under the pile so the coals will not stay on top of the nozzles so they loose gasification. A quick poke and it falls down onto itself and problem is fixed but its a pain to keep stirring it every once in a while.

That is the what I would call it too. These down draft gasers need coals over the nozzle to work right. With the correct loading procedure this can be pretty much eliminated. There was a great thread on loading and starting fires on here a while back and I use Nofo's procedure from that. I will see if I can find the thread.

I suspect it's a downdraft gasifier phenomenon. Wood gets wedged across the width of the firebox. The fire burns out at the bottom, and the wood stays in place above. It's happened to me exactly once in four years. The primary solution is to use smaller pieces of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.