What do you guys use to clean up around your stove? Ash, wood chips etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Hufford

Dec 24, 2012
Jefferson City, Missouri
Sometimes if I load my stove from the front door I get some ashes on the ash lip. And of course there are always some wood chips that fall around the stove. I've been using my shop vac, and of course I always wait several hours before vacuuming any spilled ashes to make sure there are no embers, and I never vacuum unless I'm going to be home for several hours to keep an eye on it. But I get a lot of ash dust coming out of the vacuum, even when using a paper filter. I've seen some "Ash Vacuums" for sale, but they aren't cheap. Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

During the burning season, just a little hand broom & dustpan...and into the stove or the trash. Spring/summer stove cleaning/flue sweep time...vacuum. Rick

I use this, keep it close by the stove. Try to keep things neat. Don't put too much ash into if I can help it but strong enough and convenient.

Attachments

• vacuum.jpg
    vacuum.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 333
I use a shop vac to clean up around the stove after loading. Even had the thing on fire a few times! They go up quick and had to kick it out the door. Best thing is just replace the filter and it's good to go again! Those Craftsman vacs are built like a tank

Craig

My rainbow sits beside the stove all winter and every time I load wood I sweep up the wood chips, though I try not to put any ash into it.

I use a shop vac to clean up around the stove after loading. Even had the thing on fire a few times! They go up quick and had to kick it out the door...

Terrific advice. I'll try that. Got any other safety tips? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sometimes if I load my stove from the front door I get some ashes on the ash lip. And of course there are always some wood chips that fall around the stove. I've been using my shop vac, and of course I always wait several hours before vacuuming any spilled ashes to make sure there are no embers, and I never vacuum unless I'm going to be home for several hours to keep an eye on it. But I get a lot of ash dust coming out of the vacuum, even when using a paper filter. I've seen some "Ash Vacuums" for sale, but they aren't cheap. Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

You could try using your ShopVac with a Hepa Filter like this one for $30:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-wet-...p-00917912000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I have had good luck using one of these with my Shop Vac.

Bill

Mine is in an unfinished basement. Sweep up every couple of days and after finishing each row of wood.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
During use, I just use the broom that came with a fireplace utensil set. I'm basically just pushing it off to the side in a pile so it doesn't get sucked into the blower and looks a bit nicer. If I have some hot coals spill out, I just sweep those onto the shovel and put em back into the insert. I have a hepa filter on our house vacuum and will do a quick vacuum with the tool part of it to get the hearth nice and front of the stove nice and clean.

During the burning season, just a little hand broom & dustpan...and into the stove or the trash. Spring/summer stove cleaning/flue sweep time...vacuum. Rick
+1 here. I actually use the broom that came with my tool set as my hand broom. I normally wait until reloading or start up when the stove is cool and sweep the front lip and ledges of the stove off with a dust pan brush then just sweep it all up off the tile floor.

I just sweep it up every few days and throw it in the stove. K.I.S.S. right?
Same here. I use the broom from the set and the ash shovel to sweep everything up. If I know the ash can is cool, it goes in there. Otherwise, into the fire it goes, it is usually just bits of wood and sawdust anyway so it burns right up. We burn pallet wood sometimes to even out some of our not so good wood. Since nails and vacuums are not friends, we clean out the stove by hand too - small stove, it isn't so bad.

I use this, keep it close by the stove. Try to keep things neat. Don't put too much ash into if I can help it but strong enough and convenient.
At home, hardwood floor, I just sweep up. At MIL's with the Buck 91, she's got carpet. Hard to sweep carpet. I also want to keep dust at an absolute minimum so I've been thinking about one of those hand vacs, probably a plug-in model. It can't be blowing out dust, though...

Daily: On the hearth to take care of the sawdust, woodchips and other debris I use a small dust pan and broom that gets dumped into the firebox.

Weekly: I use an Ash Vac to take care of the mess on the ash lips and around the hearth to neaten things up a bit.

The one thing my wife dislikes most about burning wood is the mess . . . so I try to keep the area clean.

My rainbow sits beside the stove all winter and every time I load wood I sweep up the wood chips, though I try not to put any ash into it.

Does your unicorn get jealous? :)

I use the Powersmith ash vac and could not be happier.
It is strong yet small enough to hide behind the couch.

If you get a hot ember in there, no real worries.

More info here. One word of advise, for cleaning anything but ashes, use the plastic coated wand, then metal wand is for hot ash only and will mark up other things.

Terrific advice. I'll try that. Got any other safety tips? :rolleyes:

Fossil,

I have all sorts of good safety advice, do you need some more?

On a more serious note, the proximity of the exterior door and my stove is very close. Ever try to put a log in the stove that doesn't fit for one reason or another and have to take it out on fire? It's nice to have the door as close as possible there too, and that is no different than that vac filter catching on fire. I believe everyone has been in that situation at one time or another if you burn long enough. Some things aren't always perfect and stuff happens. The difference is you have to know what to do in the seconds you have to react! That's what will usually determine the outcome of a scary situation, level head, thinking, and no panicking.

Point I am trying to make here is stoves can be great, but they can also be dangerous if you don't always have a plan B for any problem that arises.

Craig

Tip for a happy marriage: never refer to your wife as "Plan B".

Reactions: larryjbjr
Ever try to put a log in the stove that doesn't fit for one reason or another and have to take it out on fire?

No, I haven't.

The difference is you have to know what to do in the seconds you have to react! That's what will usually determine the outcome of a scary situation, level head, thinking, and no panicking.

No argument with the value of a level head, and thinking. The difference between our philosophies perhaps lies in the timing of one's use of those capabilities. Good risk management habits (thinking things through ahead of time and taking steps to avoid any anticipated hazards) go a long way toward keeping one out of scary situations. Rick

I usually let my wife do the cleaning....

A little whisk broom and dust pan does wonders. Occasionally the small hand vac comes in handy but mostly the dust pan and just throw the stuff in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.