What does "Durability Index" mean on a bag of pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Hearth Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
The bag for Rocky Mountain lists "Durability Index = 97.5+" but what does that mean? (Rocky Mountain seems to provide the most information of the main producers - for example, BTU = 8200, percentage of fines "at mill gate" and so forth.)

Why don't some of the other good pellets like Okanagans and Spruce Pointe have the same information?

I'm only guessing here, but maybe it's the pellets ability to withstand being moved around a lot w/o breaking apart into fines?

I have 1.3 tons of the Rocky Mtn pellets. I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

I bought them in the summer, and it was 90 degrees & high humidity the day I got them (figures, right?), so all I wanted to do was stack them & be done....never saw that on the bags.

For all the sweating I did that day, they BETTER be all their cracked-up to be when I burn 'em! >:-(

macman said:
I'm only guessing here, but maybe it's the pellets ability to withstand being moved around a lot w/o breaking apart into fines?

I have 1.3 tons of the Rocky Mtn pellets. I'll have to take a look tomorrow.

I bought them in the summer, and it was 90 degrees & high humidity the day I got them (figures, right?), so all I wanted to do was stack them & be done....never saw that on the bags.

For all the sweating I did that day, they BETTER be all their cracked-up to be when I burn 'em! >:-(

You will be happy with the Rocky Mountain pellets....
Been burning them for over a month now....great pellet.

It means the bags are durable.... maybe you can burn them, too.

A little googling found this...

http://www.mataminc.com/pdfs/PELLET DURABILITY INDEX TEST PROCEDURESPDI %Purpose.pdf

This pertains to feed pellets (not wood) but I imagine the testing for wood would be similar...

1. Pellet Durability Index test (PDI %) to be performed on each run of pellets and
cubes.
2. A representative sample of the finished pellet to be obtained and tested from the
pellet cooler discharge area. This is to check for proper cooling which is
important for maximizing quality of finished pellets.
3. Screen the cooled sample on a U.S. No. 7 sieve screen and then weigh out
accurately 100 grams of cooled, screened product.
4. Place the 100 gram sample in the pellet tumbler testing canister along with five
½” hex nuts.
5. Tumble the pellet sample for 5 minutes.
6. Screen the tumbled sample to separate the fines on a U.S. No. 7 sieve and reweigh
the pellet sample.
7. Read the scale and record the finished product reading (0-100) and convert to %,
which would be the recorded PDI % for that product.

I don't think that's a PFI standard. Something they may have added or there pellet testing facillity may have put it in there.

Or knowing they are going to sell at some bigbox locations, They may have added it to see if it would stand up to the bag tossers and crazy forklift operators. The durability could be 500% and still not stand up to there normal handling practices.

I think more pellet producers should use the durability index rating.
This determines how well the pellet will retain it forms.
Who would want pellets with a 50% rating and have them fall apart while in storage?

jamesdjs said:
I think more pellet producers should use the durability index rating.
This determines how well the pellet will retain it forms.
Who would want pellets with a 50% rating and have them fall apart while in storage?

I agree. Sometimes I've seen posts about pellets getting jammed in the stove's feeder (auger?) and read replies that talked about pellet size and shape. It may not be essential information but could be useful. And if it's accurate, it may indicate that the pellet factory presents itself as attentive to detail.

BTU said:
Stentor said:
The bag for Rocky Mountain lists "Durability Index = 97.5+" but what does that mean? (Rocky Mountain seems to provide the most information of the main producers - for example, BTU = 8200, percentage of fines "at mill gate" and so forth.)

Why don't some of the other good pellets like Okanagans and Spruce Pointe have the same information?

I have no clue as to what it means and this is the first I have ever heard of it.

On our bags we state that the product meets the PFI standards for "Super Premium", less than 5% moisture, less than .5% ash content, low salt and if anyone would like 3rd party results I would be more than happy to provide

As for anything else, personally I think it's "fluff"...you are buying any pellet for really only two things. 1. How much heat they produce and 2. how much ash is left over...that's it..It's that simple...anything else is mostly marketing mumbo jumbo double speak....I have NEVER heard anyone buy ANY pellet because they were impressed with the % of fines found at the mill gate.

That said...I think Rockies are a good pellet...but have no idea what the heck the Durability Index is.....that's a new one for me.

Here's a key sentence from BTU:

" 1. How much heat they produce and 2. how much ash is left over...that's it..It's that simple...anything else is mostly marketing mumbo jumbo double speak....I have NEVER heard anyone buy ANY pellet because they were impressed with the % of fines found at the mill gate. "

There is a difference between something that makes a person decide to buy and something that's relevant to a buying decision even if a person does not buy because of it. BTU is confusing a decisive factor with a not decisive but relevant factor. In this example, % of fines at the mill gate is probably a baseline value and the amount of fines will be increased at least somewhat by shipping and handling. I've seen lots of posts here where people create all kinds of elaborate filters at home to minimize fines, so for those people (or for their particular stoves), fines must be relevant and important.

I want to be very clear that I really like Okanagans and think that in my limited experience they are the best product I've tried. I also find BTU's posts very helpful and informative, as well as persuasive. For that reason alone they would deserve careful scrutiny.

And yes, I know, I know, we're only talking about compressed sawdust. :coolsmile:

Stentor I do agree that they should all list the information about pellet size, fines & etc as for the Okanagan I have had quite a few people say they are great. I called BT in Bristol and they say they will be getting them tomorrow. I asked how much and all she said was I would be pleasantly surprised.

1fireball said:
Stentor I do agree that they should all list the information about pellet size, fines & etc as for the Okanagan I have had quite a few people say they are great. I called BT in Bristol and they say they will be getting them tomorrow. I asked how much and all she said was I would be pleasantly surprised.

Sounds great. Please share the price information here when you get it.

Stentor the Okanagans are $255.00 per ton and $6.00 per bag at Bt Pellet in Bristol. I must say I was pleasantly surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.