What Does It Cost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poult

Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
Northern NYS
to have a wood stove installed? If you have someone else do it for you. Any ball park numbers?

I've been contemplating getting a stove for the last few months, but haven't gotten to a store yet to check things out and have now started wondering about how much it would cost to get a wood stove in. Installation and materials, not counting the cost of the stove itself for a room where there's never been a stove before. It's a single story 1964 ranch house located in Northern NYS.

I have an older (ca. 1970) fireplace insert in the living room fireplace, but it's a bad location for moving the heat around the house, plus the room isn't used anymore. The fireplace is also the furthest point from the doors for hauling in wood and taking out ashes. When I was growing up the insert did do a lot towards heating the house, but I'd rather have a centrally located stove the way things are now.

Great site, btw! You've answered a lot of my questions without me even asking them by reading the archives.

Thanks!

Poult

It depends if you want a large stove, double sided pipe or single and how much pipe you need. Plus what kind of stove do you like, Avalon, Pacific Energy, Jotul, Lopi, Vermont Castings? Go to these websites are do a little research and find one that you really like. I would say if you are looking at heating your entire home that is a rance I would go big. Don't worry about what the sq footage says, go big....Unless your house is perfectly insulated, go big... Did I say go big yet......
Of course if this is to just heat a couple of rooms you could go middle. Just be aware that smaller fireboxes are a little frustrating to load because of the size. I went too small the first time and I will never go with anything smaller than 3.0 cu foot box. It is nice to have the freedom of loading it the way and the size logs you want, trust me.

I would say around 3000-3500 max for everything and that may be a little high in some areas of NY. I live near Buffalo. Go ahead and find the stove you want, check out the local dealers for that stove and get some estimates. You can save a couple here and there by asking if these places will match competition. The only place I will not recommend is Heritage Fireplace in lockport NY. Bad service after the sale, beware!!!!!!

Once you find your stove ask the pros on this website (not me of course...and sometimes not the store sellers either) for it down.

Most of the time you get what you pay for, just take your time and do it right.

Good Luck

Thanks, JFK, that's what I wanted to know. You hate to go in to a store cold and not know even ball park costs. I feel at a disadvantage dealing that way. You can see the cost of the stoves, clear enough but that's just part of it.

I'm near Watertown so won't be dealing with the folks you've dealt with before.

Thanks for the advice on size, too. I've been dithering some about stove sizes, going back and forth on how large a stove I need here. That's another reason there's been no visit to the stores, yet, wanted to get an idea of what I need before walking in their door and be overwhelmed by choices. If I can get some of the decsions out of the way first, that should make the store visit more productive (I hope, anyway.). Can you tell I hate dealing with sales people. :)

Poult

If your like me, I like to put my head down on the pillow at the end of the day nad not have a worry in the world about my stove, it's pipe or the install. I also believe that you get what you pay for. Definetley go with the double wall interior black pipe. It is so uch safer than the tin single wall stuff. The double wall reduces clearences thus easing stove installation and it doesn't remove your finger prints if accidentally touched. I would also avoid the galvanized class A pipe. The Stainless A pipe doesn't rust and is visually more appealing if you are thinking about selling your place or if you care about the looks of your house. Like JFK said go big! I run a stove that pouts out 75,000 BTU's in a house that is just 1100 square feet. I have only used 80 gallons since end of September to heat my water. The furnace has not been on once to heat my home. A steady 70 degrees when it's 20 out and I have no wall insulation other than tyvek.
I would guess if you went big and paid for the stainless and double wall interior black pipe (one telescoping section of double black and ten feet of stainless, enough to clear a one story house with 8 foot ceilings) = $3500.00 plus $1000.00 for install. Depending on the model of the stove and required footage of pipe could be more.
Just my two cents

Do the double wall stuff...you won't have to replace it in 5 years.

My stove cost me roughly $2000 for installation labor and materials to put a new stove (not included in the $2000) into a log cabin with no chimney or hearth (built the pad myself). Bear in mind that my chimney is probably close to double the length your will be since you have a ranch and my house is a chalet-style log home, so the inside ceiling in the front room is about 26', chimney overall length is somewhere around 28' I think. The materials were $1200 and I'm reasonably sure thats near cost since the guy misquoted me bigtime (he included 1 3' length of double wall in the quote when the order said 7). Labor for 2 guys all day was $800, inspector crawled all over it and had no problems.

Thanks for the replys. Yes, safety is big with me, Arlo. I've already decided that money is no object when it comes to keeping that. Mayhen, thanks for your input, too. I appreciate it. :)

Poult

Status
Not open for further replies.