What does "my stove heats my house" mean to you?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
"My stove can heat my house" for me means rain, snow, sun, storms, or blizzards I will not loose any sleep worrying about heat. It also means that during the normal winter weather of 10-30 Degree F I regularly hear my wife will say it is hot in here. During the cold time -15 F and worse I never hear my wife say it is cold in here. So you could say "My stove heats my house" also means, at least to me, my wife is not cold. Happy wife, well you know the rest. For us the furnace only runs once in the fall to make sure it is functional should we need to take a vacation in the winter. With the Summit and now the Princess the furnace simply does not run.

to me it means that the oil burner doesn't come on unless we're not going to be home for a few days, and while we are home it keeps temps in the upper 70's

My oil burner runs less frequently when I keep two stoves going full-tilt. Is that what you meant? :p

60°F today, and I have two stoves running. The boiler did run this AM, but it's heating parts of the house too remote for stove heat to reach, and hot water for showers.

If I ran 4 stoves, I could keep the boiler from running for any heat, just hot water. If I ran 6 stoves, I could also eliminate my two heat pumps. It's not all about horsepower, some houses are just too disjointed to practically heat from a single "space heater".

'My wood stove furnace heats my house' means that as long as we are home to fire it, it is the only source I need to keep the entire 1700 square ft. house warm (67-70 F) and comfortable.
The basement is a little cooler but still comfortable. LP furnace is a backup only, I run it from time to time just to make sure it still works :).

My stove truly heats the house. The stove has effortlessly heated the place with outside temps 15 below 0. We don't heat the basement. It's a new cabin, well insulated with good windows. It's open floor plan, cathedral ceiling the whole length of the house, the heat the fairly even. The two back ground floor bed rooms are 5 degrees lower than the stove room. We only use heat when it's above 45, because I don't want to light fires and let them burn out.

When we decide to use the stove, Heating the house means the stove is capable of maintaining the internal spaces to at least 70° F while the outside temperatures are near or below zero F. In addition The stove wouldnt have to be run in meltdown Mode to accomplish this or having to worry about constantly feeding it fuel. Furthermore the stove must come close to accomplishing these tasks without the use of electricity.