What happened to the Accentra Freestanding?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Glenalmond

Jul 25, 2008
Boston MA
I have a 2008 Accentra freestanding
Its still running well but getting old and I have been worried about a major failure happening after almost 15 years of mostly trouble free running.
I went to the Harman website and its not for sale anymore - When did they discontinue it?

If I have to get a new stove I am being proactive in getting recommendations.
I want to relocate the stove from where it is currently placed to a different point in the house and need to have a quieter stove since it will be closer to where people are sitting for watching TV
Any suggestions? (Aesthetically I really likes the classical look of the Accentra as well as the iron compass etc - not sure what the contemporary stoves would look like in our 1900 Cape Ann style house in Boston but if it is quieter would probably choose that over looks)

Thanks
Con

Reactions: jackman
Good questions. I'm in the same boat. To make matters worse my local dealer has quit the Harman line. Fortunately my stove is still working well. If I need parts I'll just purchase on the Internet.

Marketing and price,I would say. The cast makes the price quite higher. Your stove will probably outlast you,and then some. I do not find mine "noisy" except when the room blower is on high. It is about 10 ft from me,in the living room.BUT, being in a smaller area, it is rarely on high,and if it does go up,and there is something I am watching that has poor sound,I just turn the room blower speed down. In the "in between" weather,I turn fan off, use it like a fireplace. Many new and older stoves do not have that feature.

I have a 2008 Accentra freestanding
Its still running well but getting old and I have been worried about a major failure happening after almost 15 years of mostly trouble free running.
I went to the Harman website and its not for sale anymore - When did they discontinue it?

If I have to get a new stove I am being proactive in getting recommendations.
I want to relocate the stove from where it is currently placed to a different point in the house and need to have a quieter stove since it will be closer to where people are sitting for watching TV
Any suggestions? (Aesthetically I really likes the classical look of the Accentra as well as the iron compass etc - not sure what the contemporary stoves would look like in our 1900 Cape Ann style house in Boston but if it is quieter would probably choose that over looks)

Thanks
Con
My stove dealer said the accentra didnt meet new emissions requirements and is being redesigned, I personally would recommend lopi deerfield great looking stove. Had my lopi foxfire 26 years. Im looking ahead also

I don't have a Accentra FS, but I do have a 1992 Vermont Castings Reliance that I've run since 1992, the burnpot developed some severe warpage and cracked seam ... I might rebuild it yet ... but in 2020 I did order a new burnpot, it was a burnpot for the Accentra FS. I was told they were essentially the same stove, pictures seemed to confirm ... but I think my stove burns better with the Accentra FS burnpot. I hope they keep making the Accentra, it is my back up position if ever this stove throws in the towel.

The Accentra is my least favorite Harman. Fire always wants to burn out from under the flame guide and cause a creosote cake down the side of the burn pot. And if let go to long it will push the flame guide up and burn terrible. Anybody else have this issue and any tips for keeping flame guide sealed in the back and stop the back burn? My parents have this stove and I have tried tapping the flame guide in after cleaning and it still burns out the back. The Accentra is the only Harman I see do that.

Reactions: Washed-Up
The Accentra is my least favorite Harman. Fire always wants to burn out from under the flame guide and cause a creosote cake down the side of the burn pot. And if let go to long it will push the flame guide up and burn terrible. Anybody else have this issue and any tips for keeping flame guide sealed in the back and stop the back burn? My parents have this stove and I have tried tapping the flame guide in after cleaning and it still burns out the back. The Accentra is the only Harman I see do that.
Try the search box above. There have been redesigned burn pots for some of the Harmans. Also, it never hurts to use 2 pot gaskets, as some Harman stoves have warped.

Reactions: rickwai