What Insert to fill in 4x6 feet wide Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have made the decision to modify the fireplace to this.

You’re correct especially about resale and moving insert. The modifications I intend to do will give me and the next owner the option of utilizing both flues. I will seal the left flue on the bottom giving the option of using it upstairs in master suit for a smaller insert and use right flue downstairs for current insert. Opening will be about 33”x 41”
There is no way they could use an insert in that flue upstairs. There is no fireplace to put an insert into. In addition solid fuel burners can't be used in a bedroom

I have the little Lopi Answer with the larger of the two stock surrounds. Like it a lot.

I attended St. Joe's for 2nd grade. St. Lawrence for 3 - 8. Fairfield Prep and University. Yale for grad school. Really liked growing up in Huntington in the '60s and '70s.

St. Lawrence didn't have 2nd grade in fall 1965.

I have the little Lopi Answer with the larger of the two stock surrounds. Like it a lot.

I attended St. Joe's for 2nd grade. St. Lawrence for 3 - 8. Fairfield Prep and University. Yale for grad school. Really liked growing up in Huntington in the '60s and '70s.

St. Lawrence didn't have 2nd grade in fall 1965.
Good to know. Wife like a simple surround. Let’s see what she picks today.
My first 2 boys went to St. Theresa for preschool now Trumbull public. Youngest is about to start St. Theresa this fall.

Did she pick a surround?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 134
Good deal. Sounds like you are ready to rumble.

That's the one I picked, too. I like simple, functional. :)

Reactions: Hya
I just wanted to clarify. I meant that I picked that one from the picture you posted. I didn't have a choice with the Answer. My choices were rectangular or arched door. Of course, I picked rectangular.

Reactions: Hya
I just wanted to clarify. I meant that I picked that one from the picture you posted. I didn't have a choice with the Answer. My choices were rectangular or arched door. Of course, I picked rectangular.
Oh ok.

Looking forward to installed pictures. :)

Following is off topic (funny, though), so folks can skip. I mentioned a former Trumbull H.S. teacher above.

He was married for a little while after college in the 1980s. He was divorced and on a cruise. People at his table were doing introductions. He said his name.

There was an attorney at the table: "There's a case of Darak v. Darak that is taught in law school."

"I AM Darak of Darak v. Darak." :)

Darak v. Darak, 210 Conn. 462 | Casetext Search + Citator

He was divorced, and his future financial situation was likely to change. His former wife sued for future potential earnings. She didn't win.

Last edited:
Looking forward to installed pictures. :)

Following is off topic (funny, though), so folks can skip. I mentioned a former Trumbull H.S. teacher above.

He was married for a little while after college in the 1980s. He was divorced and on a cruise. People at his table were doing introductions. He said his name.

There was an attorney at the table: "There's a case of Darak v. Darak that is taught in law school."

"I AM Darak of Darak v. Darak." :)

Darak v. Darak, 210 Conn. 462 | Casetext Search + Citator

He was divorced, and his future financial situation was likely to change. His former wife sued for future potential earnings. She didn't win.
Interesting case. I have a friend whom just went through a similar greed situation. The divorce agreement was she stays in 1/2 duplex for 2 years free or get cash. She chose to stay. When she learnt he was going to sell the place and get an additional $200k more than appraised due to COVID she went back to court for money but was denied.

Wonder if there is a written judge's decision and if Darak v. Darak was cited in rendering their decision. Looks like it is cited when I did a search.

Wonder if there is a written judge's decision and if Darak v. Darak was cited in rendering their decision. Looks like it is cited when I did a search.
Please chat in a PM.

Sorry, boss. My bad. :cool:

Just an update. I’ve purchased Lopi Large flush. Modified fireplace to the best of my minimal first time brick laying ability and installed unit. It is ready to go but need to wait a bit to let everything cure before the first burn. The wife also wants the 10’ wide fireplace color modified. She wants bottom 1/2 white washed and top shiplap. I’m certain it will be changed again but for now she wants to get a little contemporary in room. Although we agreed the room should not be changed much but I guess I didn’t clarify the bricks included.
Here is the photo without the 10’ mantle. It will be installed sometime this week.

2C9A947B-1AFF-4BCB-AC3C-1D57E99CB0DF.jpeg

Good choice, it looks great. On the other ideas, well, maybe meditate on them for a season or two.

Good choice, it looks great. On the other ideas, well, maybe meditate on them for a season or two.
Thank you. After 21 years with wife I’ve learnt to get on it right away. But you are right about waiting. I’ve already gotten her to agree on at least 30 day delay due to newly laid bricks should never be stained or colored for at least 30 days. I also have about 3 1/2 years to complete all project around the house. That includes my mancave in basement, 2 new sheds, barn above 3 car garage, in-ground pool, new master suit above living room, tennis court and cut trail for atv in backyard. She only requested tennis court and master. So my work is cut out and I have no intention of hiring to do them. Well maybe tennis court. I’m not a big fan of concrete. That does not include my day job inwhich I’m self employed with one other worker. I think I can pull it off.

So we have updated the fireplace to the best of our abilities. First time laying bricks and lime wash. Not my first of choices but Wife likes it and that’s what matters cause next week I’m getting my new kubota L3901 tractor. Happy wife happy me. Thanks to all those who contributed to this accomplishment.

5FC3973B-830A-4A24-8C42-903709970628.jpeg CE15B8D3-466D-4624-8CFF-E21E0461C325.jpeg

Reactions: Riteway