what is causing a slight propane smell in house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That’s a standard pressure. Propane is 11.3-14 WC. Part of the problem is if you run a screw into a line in the wall you won’t hear the leak.

6.16.4 Tubing run inside hollow walls or partitions within 1.75 in (43 mm) of the surface shall be protected against physical damage and puncture at the joists, studs, and plates by the use of No. 16 GSG (1.59 mm) plates or sleeves.

This is why that isn't an issue here. You can't actually get a screw through the shield plates, you need a framing nailer to do that, no one I know hangs pictures on the wall with a framing nailer.

But I'm done with this conversation, it's way off topic anyway, and really serves no use, gas leaks simply aren't a big problem here where I live.

6.16.4 Tubing run inside hollow walls or partitions within 1.75 in (43 mm) of the surface shall be protected against physical damage and puncture at the joists, studs, and plates by the use of No. 16 GSG (1.59 mm) plates or sleeves.

This is why that isn't an issue here. You can't actually get a screw through the shield plates, you need a framing nailer to do that, no one I know hangs pictures on the wall with a framing nailer.

But I'm done with this conversation, it's way off topic anyway, and really serves no use, gas leaks simply aren't a big problem here where I live.
And, you have no structures in your country built before these codes were placed? And, if they were they have all been retrofitted to code?

I’ve seen dimbasses drill a pilot hole in the line because they could get their screw in place. People are stupid and all the building codes in the world won’t protect them from themselves.

Sounds like DH is playing a dangerous game. Even if a burner was slow to ignite, there should be no leakage of gas in the house. None, nada. :ZZZTurn off the propane to this furnace. It is possible the heat exchanger is cracked or rusted out in an area.

Propane is not like CO. It is measured differently and at floor level usually because it is a heavier than air gas. To detect it one needs a propane detector which is mounted low, about a foot off the floor.
Amazon product ASIN B0776JTF59

As usual . . . late to the discussion . . . but this entire thread is pretty much in my wheelhouse with my job.

1. As some folks mentioned … if you smell gas (or rather the mercaptan odorant added to the gas) we encourage folks to call 911 as most fire departments these days have a combination gas meter to detect CO, methane and other explosive or dangerous gases.

2. If you are smelling propane there could be a variety of reasons -- puncture, loose connection, gas failed to ignite right away with an older appliance, low gas supply, etc. . . . again . . . getting someone on hand to find the problem is important.

In my own home I have a combination CO detector and explosive gas detector from Kidde which also gives a digital readout. It is important to note that not all CO detectors are explosive gas detectors and vice versa. I am a firm believer in having it be battery powered or battery back up as the vast majority of CO poisonings I have seen typically occur when there is no power to the home and someone is using a generator or other device inappropriately.

Commercial occupancy from Farmington, Maine last year . . . sadly a Fire Captain died and several others were injured.

That’s a standard pressure. Propane is 11.3-14 WC. Part of the problem is if you run a screw into a line in the wall you won’t hear the leak.
Black iron only is allowed inside walls. If you run a screw or drill a hole through it , you did something really wrong.

Reactions: fbelec
This goes back a few years now, but there was a house in Royal Oak, MI that blew completely up, totally leveling it, and damaging nearby homes. Thankfully no one was home or injured. Only people to touch the gas line was DTE Energy the day prior, so it's not just home owners that can FU. When we lived there, they started a program to move all the meters outside, as most were in the basement. They swapped us out and a few hours later I could smell gas (mercaptan) in the basement. I called their number, and they were there within 15 minutes. Grabbed the sniffer, and sure enough, one of the fittings wasn't tightened properly.

The “smell” of unburned propane fuel is obvious to most. But even the smell of the exhaust from an unvented propane burner like a stove top is noticeable to many. They stink.

Just seeing this thread.

First off, and already mentioned several times. get the fire department in to do a check-over even if you can't smell anything anymore. Or maybe more like you think you don't smell anything anymore? It won't cost you anything, and that is one thing you need to be very sure of. Gas leaks don't magically fix themselves, that I know of.

Second off - if they don't find anything. Well, sometimes sewer gasses can smell kinda like propane. Any drains that haven't been used in a long time? Basement sink that never gets used? Even if they have traps, water can evaporate out of them after a long time of no use.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, but if you have a mouse "expire" in the wall of your home it can mimic the smell of Propane during the early stages.

Just seeing this thread.

First off, and already mentioned several times. get the fire department in to do a check-over even if you can't smell anything anymore. Or maybe more like you think you don't smell anything anymore? It won't cost you anything, and that is one thing you need to be very sure of. Gas leaks don't magically fix themselves, that I know of.

Second off - if they don't find anything. Well, sometimes sewer gasses can smell kinda like propane. Any drains that haven't been used in a long time? Basement sink that never gets used? Even if they have traps, water can evaporate out of them after a long time of no use.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, but if you have a mouse "expire" in the wall of your home it can mimic the smell of Propane during the early stages.
Both excellent suggestions! I can't believe I didn't think of this before, I work for the city water water utilities and get the "gas smell" call all the time, and it usually ends up being a dried out drain trap (sometimes buried in a wall/etc. on a remodel project) or a dead mouse.

I do appreciate it when an OP, when he/she has time, to come back and tell what worked and what didn't. Helps us all learn.