What is everyone running for pellet stove back-up power?

The Village Idiot Posted By The Village Idiot, Oct 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM

1. Chain

Chain
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Lewis County, New York (upstate)
    5500 watt generator that is connected via an outdoor weather proof receptacle to a transfer switch in my garage. Since I have an outdoor hot tub and one submersible pump for my drilled well and a jet pump for my dug well, I usually trip breakers on a number of items in order to power the essentials during a power outage. I usually keep the fridge, pellet stove, oil boiler, one well pump, and stereo or tv circuits on. With a few lights as well. With just the essentials on the 5500 watt can keep up with relative ease.

There is a part of me that regrets not investing in a larger, automatic stand by generator back when I bought my current generator and switch. The other more rational part of me reminds me occasionally that I've actually only had to use my current set-up twice since I invested about $1800 into it several years ago. At that time an automatic set-up would have cost around $6,000 minimum.....and still only would have been used twice so I suppose I made the right decision.

2. kenstogie

kenstogie
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2012
    Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Nope, not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL

oldmountvernon likes this.
  3. Leol

Leol
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2016
    Loc:
    Nh

4. Dr.Faustus

Dr.Faustus
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2010
    Loc:
    Hyde Park, N.Y.
    UPS to protect from surges. Manual start generator for power outages - the stove will run on this but does not run great. my best backup is my kerosene heater.

It will keep the house just as warm as the stove, but unlike the stove, it can not be left unattended. I can and do leave the room etc but not the house. and we have a lot of CO detectors.

5. EarthStove

EarthStove
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2009
    Loc:
    Northern MD
    Honda 7250 watt fuel injected inverter genset. Bought it last year right before blizzard and it's been sitting unused since. With a possibly big ice storm coming, might get to use it! :/

6. lagger

lagger
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 2, 2014
    Loc:
    Bloomingburg NY
    Champion 7k generator .. it is dual fuel , propane and gasoline .. I have 4 BBQ size tanks ... genne has <5% THD so it won't blow my digital stuff up ... got it at costco on sale for 599... have it set to plug into inlet below panel on a 30 amp breaker.. enough for the lights furnace pellet stove, well etc

7. thatguy69

thatguy69
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 11, 2016
    Loc:
    mansfield ohio
    i have a briggs 6500k for the house. bought a briggs 2000w generator/inverter for the pellet stove this year with a 3 year warranty from wal mart for 584 shipped. i was one the line inbetween the briggs,or a harbor freight one. but i figured when i need it i want it to work. so im counting on the briggs

8. fmsm

fmsm
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 12, 2011
    Loc:
    South of Boston MA