what is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
bought this at my local thrift store for $15. Just the lucite top is worth $30+. I can see many uses for it. Its quality made from all solid hardwood. But I don't know what it was originally made for? Tub is heavy duty and about 12" deep. Overall, its ~40x26

20140812_091932.jpg 20140812_091918.jpg 20140812_091904.jpg 20140812_091849.jpg

My first thought is that it could have been part of someone's photography lab. It looks like a large tray for washing photo chemicals from prints, but it probably wouldn't have been that deep unless that was the only basin available.

Reactions: DAKSY
My first thought is that it could have been part of someone's photography lab. It looks like a large tray for washing photo chemicals from prints, but it probably wouldn't have been that deep unless that was the only basin available.

also, its not at standing height, its about 30" tall.

terrarium?

50 pounds of ice and 4 cases of beer would look mighty nice in that thing.

Swimming pool for lobsters?

Baby's bath tub?

Dog washing station ??

So what are you going to do with it?

images.jpg

I think it's a
stream table . It's used to teach hydrogeology. That said, I'm down with jags also. They cost 600-1,500 bucks.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 97
Could have been a raw bar ice bin or something like that. Deep enough to hold ice and product as well as has a drain.

Swimming pool for lobsters?

Baby's bath tub?

don't lobster tanks have filter pumps? no holes for these. why would you need wheels for a baby tub? its also too big/deep for this use.

So what are you going to do with it?

not really sure. my daughter is really into crafts, clay, crayons, glue, paper, markers, paints etc. I was thinking of making another top made of plywood and she can also use the tub insert when playing with water on the deck.

another thing, the tub looks to be that food grade blue plastic that restaurants use.

You add rocks, sand, more plastic etc. Kinda like a diorama base. We have an old glass one at my school, but it's cracked. That blue plastic does look food grade, though. I like the raw bar guess.

Maybe from some kind of vendor displaying his products that need to be cooled? Think of fish lying in there on ice and being protected by the top. Could for example have been a gimmick in a restaurant where people could pick their meat/fish before it is being cooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.