killie11 Posted By killie11, Oct 22, 2014 at 6:06 AM

1. cableman

cableman
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 26, 2013
    Loc:
    long island
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. michpelletburner

michpelletburner
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 29, 2014
    Loc:
    Davisburg,MI
    mines on wheels and pretty portable, a non portable to me would mean like a automatic whole house unit. I take mine with me every trip up north wheeling( powers a welder nicely)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    One more experience story. As to easily portable, I bought a Champion 2000w inverter generator 4 years ago. It's quiet but not as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha. Only used once for a power outage just to power the fridge and freezer for awhile, but used about 50-60 hours over 4 days each year during the last three years for camping during a music festival we enjoy, and will be used again later this month for the same thing. It uses about 5 gallons of gas for that number of hours of use. Flawless in operation. Main reason for getting this was for the computer and electronics during a possible long power outage; also to run the circulators on my shop heating system if a long power outage during the heating season, but this has never happened yet. The circulators buzz when run on a non-inverter generator.

Also have a Craftsman 5500w - 240V generator on wheels that plugs into a 10 circuit transfer switch on our main panel. I have had this for many years. It gets used for a few hours about once a year during a power outage. The 240V is needed for the water well pump. This generator is quite noisy. It also has enough power to run my 240V MIG welder, so my welder now also is portable, a real plus.

For both generators, premium non-ethanol fuel and Stabil, run the carb dry after use, exercise each on at least a 1/2 load 1-2 times a year.

4. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia

How is your Craftsman on gas? I think my old Craftsman (not actually that old, was a nice genny otherwise) would have gone though those 5 gallons in 10 hours rather than 50. That was the tipper for me.

5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I am also on the two generator plan: one big and one small.

6. jebatty

jebatty
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern MN
    Have not had to use the Craftsman for long long periods to have a concern about gas. I normally have on hand 15-30 gal of regular ethanol gas plus 5-10 gal of premium, non-ethanol, Stabil gas that can be used in the generator if needed. Maybe the best thing about having a generator in my case was once I had the generator, power outages seemed to diminish. Buying it was insurance that I wouldn't need to use it.

7. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe the best thing about having a generator in my case was once I had the generator, power outages seemed to diminish.

I think I have also experienced this strange phenomenom...

SpaceBus and johnny1720 like this.
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 5, 2005
    Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Me as well.

9. Arti

Arti
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2014
    Loc:
    South West Wisconsin
    Having 2 backup gennys has helped with the power outages, since we have bought them we have only used them twice.
    Use the small one for camping in craft show parking lots, will run my small window shaker in the camper or a fan and some lights. sure is nice to have.

10. johnny1720

johnny1720
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2007
    Loc:
    The Great North East
    I have had a generator for 18 months, zero power outages in 18 months.

11. TonyVideo

TonyVideo
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2014
    Loc:
    Rushville, IN
    Good insurance.

12. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Depends what you want it for
    But the Honda is probably the best
    but also the most expensive
    I use a whole house unit 25 KW gen-teck
    and have a 5000 watt portable Honda
    They cover what ever power I need at home and away