What IS the difference between Supervent and Security Chimneys??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mags

Oct 22, 2008
Alberta
WE are finally putting in a wood stove. We'd like to do it ourselves and have been doing quite a bit of research. Looking at the Osburn brand maybe enerzone. The guy at the hearth store says not to use Supervent from Home Depot but I figured he's probably just biast!!?? So can anyone tell me if there is a differnce between the Supervent and the Security Chimneys?

Price??? LOL

The only differance I've seen in the chimneys is the joint.
With supervent, it has finished ends, so each pipe is closed to it's self. But their is no real "seal" unless you use the clamps. Which you should use anyway.
The others have a insutation to insulation seam. so they may stop hot gasses better? But they of course don't have the clamps.

I figre get what is most easily available. they will both work.

Yeah, price is probably going to be the biggest difference. I know nothing about Security Chimney. I would assume the dealer sells it and you will have to pay well for it?

I had no big problem with the Supervent stuff I used from Lowe's. It was available locally and cost less than ordering chimney. It seems to be made OK overall. It looks good. The seams on the chimney pipe did wick in water that came out the ceiling support, but that was fixed with silicon on the outside seams.

If you are on a budget, you will probably come out better by getting it at the Depot. The Supervent round decorator ceiling support kit looks pretty good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.