What is the lowest feed rate while maintaining a continuous burn for a Harman P43?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
Hello pellet stove experts,

I'm trying t get a handle on the lowest pellet feed rate for a Harman P43. I've seen .75 lb/hour listed for the Accentra but can't seem to find a value for the P43. I do see the EPA input listed as 17,200 - 42,500 BTUs per hour but am not certain if the 17,200 is indicative of the lowest continuous burn possible. If it was that would mean burning a minimum of ~ 48lb of pellets per day if you wished to not have the stove cycle on and off.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Hugh

Last edited:
From the P43 Manual:

upload_2018-2-1_17-23-29.png

That .75lbs has to be in maintenance mode when in room temp manual with no call for heat. That is a small amount per hour.

That .75lbs has to be in maintenance mode when in room temp manual with no call for heat. That is a small amount per hour.

It still works out to 18lbs per day at that rate so just under half a bag. I hope that all the heat from that doesn't go out the vent. It's about 5000BTUs of potential output per hour at that feed rate.

Thanks,

Hugh

It still works out to 18lbs per day at that rate so just under half a bag. I hope that all the heat from that doesn't go out the vent. It's about 5000BTUs of potential output per hour at that feed rate.

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh,
You can set the temp knob up to 5 or around 75* while in room temp manual. This will keep the distribution blower running and taking advantage of all of the heat possibly by constantly running the room distribution fan while fed rate is turned down.

Try setting it like this after it is burning. 1). Room fan all the way up. 2). Room temp with igniter in manual. 3). Temp dial set at 5 so the room distribution fan runs the whole time. 4). Feed rate knob set down below 1 but not on the red test mode bar.

This would be as low as you can go. That said, I'm not sure how many pellets you will save vs. the same settings with the igniter in auto and the stove maintaining a set temp. You would not want the temp set on 5 or around 75* though if you want to maintain 70* in the house.

At times I do run my P68 exactly as stated above because I find it works for me. You will see some ash build up on the pot running slow and low. I mainly do it just to keep the fire burning and the stove from cycling off and on during milder outside temps. On the other hand at times it will get too warm inside during shoulder seasons running all the time on low manual igniter so I set the temp I want on auto ignite and let it do its thing.

At times I do run my P68 exactly as stated above because I find it works for me. You will see some ash build up on the pot running slow and low. I mainly do it just to keep the fire burning and the stove from cycling off and on during milder outside temps.

Bags

Thanks for the excellent advice. The part quoted sounds to be the best way to extract the most heat from a minimum burn rate.

Hugh

Reactions: bags
Seems to be tough to get less than a bag a day. I tried this one winter in mine before converting to auto ignition and the exhaust was cooling to fast. I have about 12' of pipe. basement install. Pipe started creosoting. Actually had a small chimney fire at the end of the season when cranking it up.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Seems to be tough to get less than a bag a day. I tried this one winter in mine before converting to auto ignition and the exhaust was cooling to fast. I have about 12' of pipe. basement install. Pipe started creosoting. Actually had a small chimney fire at the end of the season when cranking it up.
Yep,I agree.So many variables,with installations being different.If below 15,or a bit higher with westerly winds,I run stove mode.Above that Tstat mode,yes,I know it uses electricity to start,but,what a lot of people forget,the stove,not running,is a big heat waster,from convection,being connected to the outside.Not as bad as an window air conditioner(in the winter) but bad.Sometimes,in crossover weather,I run the stove on low/idle,but then have to run it on high,for a burn out.But,hey,the house is more comfortable.Also,lots of people do not realize,a direct vent heater,especially without a pilot light,is a big heat loss to the house.I always light my pilot on my backup heater,every winter,even though I only use it when the power goes out.

As far as heat loss when not burning, Harman is probably lets out the least with having the intake flapper.

You can set the Harman on Constant Burn or Stove mode, auto, heat setting 1 and the distribution blower still runs the whole time. 1.5 bags a day on my P68. It is different for lower quality pellets as consumption would be higher and if you have top end pellets maybe a little lower in consumption.

Reactions: rickwai