What is the REAL price of LP Gas - and is it worth converting from oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertsirkin

Nov 2, 2015
West Hartford, CT
I currently have a oil heat with a 11k whole-home generator - the generator is supplied by a 100# LP tank. I live in Connecticut.

I want to convert to Natural Gas for heat for the lower cost, and for a more reliable supply to my generator, but it's not currently on my street.

But, the gas company finally told me that they were going to supply gas to my street. But, after signing a letter of intent with them, they said they weren't going to after all, as they didn't realize that my street had recently been paved, and they didn't want to pay for the re-paving where they dig.

So, I looked into LP gas. Somebody told me that they just got LP gas for $1.29/gallon. So, I checked with a local LP company, and they said the price was $1.39 (I have a contract that I haven't signed yet with that price on it). But, when I check the government pricing on LP heating gas, I see it's about the same as oil - about $2.50 a gallon.

How can the pricing be SO different ($1.29, 1.39) than the "average" here in Connecticut??

Reactions: Jake86
The government pays more for everything.

LP prices currently, like all other fuels, are low. They all rise and fall together, depending on supply and demand. Each has it's good times and bad. Oil has a little more BTU per gallon than LP. LP is a little more efficient than oil. They balance out pretty close. LP is more versatile than oil. Honestly, if I didn't HAVE to replace my oil burner, I probably wouldn't spend the money.
Regarding "government" pricing... I don't know. Not familiar with where you saw that. But, if I got the info from anything "government", I'd probably doubt it.

I looked into lp also. There is 67 percent btus in a gallon of propane versus a gallon of oil. There was a chart I downloaded somewhere that showed lp has never been cheaper than oil on a per gallon btu basis in ct over the 25 years they tracked prices. The real deciding factor would be modern propane burner could hit mid 90 percent for efficiency vesus an old inefficient oil boiler. I decided to just get a modern oil boiler that can be converted to gas if something changes in the pricing structure of heat sources in the future.

Price of LP is downright ridiculous, i was using LP job heaters until i found out they are more expensive to run than electric resistance.
Some places charge $20 around here for a refilled Gas grill tank that holds about 4 gallons of LP. THats about $5 a gallon. I just use them for emergency heat now. Getting a large tank filled is a different story but only if you own the tank and can shop price. IF the LP company owns the tank they are your only source and they usually gouge in that situation.

The more you burn the better the price, but expect a price jump in winter even week to week.
You're paying a good bit for delivery of a hazardous cargo. I had it in my old house for stove dryer hot water, the price stunk.
The only people I know who make out OK have huge underground tanks they fill when the price is lower in summer.

BTW, I rent their propane tanks. Wish I had my own 500 gallon tank ( buried underground) and could shop around. Think I'll look into it.

I think LP would have to be Around $1.20 a gallon to equal Oil as a cost per BTU right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.