What is this and how can I remedy it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newburn

Oct 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
This stove is about 3 years old. This year I noticed on the top the paint was peeling away. I tried to wash with a vinegar/water solution and I think I may have made it worse. Can someone identify this and give me some advice as to how best to fix it?

Attachments

• 15400778986731531171741.jpg
    15400778986731531171741.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 143
That's called rust, it will usually form on metal when humidity levels hit 70% or higher (like our whole summer here), I have some on my stove from this past summer, best way to remedy it, in the spring break out the steel wool and stove brite paint.

Vinegar will treat the rust. It's not a bad course of action to take. Dont dilute it, in fact, get it as strong as you can. After the rust is gone, paint it.

Wire wheel and new coat of stove paint, wallah.

As Neil Young puts it "RUST NEVER SLEEPS".