What is this bug? or is it something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I saw this on my fence post while filling the oriole feeder this morning. I see one about every year and have no clue what it is. Any thoughts would be great. It is kind of weird and I see them after rainstorms. It is almost like a small worm, but very thin and 4" long. It is translucent with yellow areas.

Attachments

• DSC09176.jpg
    DSC09176.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC09175.jpg
    DSC09175.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 391
you sure it's not a seed that sprouted coming out of a crack?

pen

No, it is some sort of worm. I took a video of it moving around. I'll see if I can get a link to the vid.

Google -"lamprey". It might be a rare land-form, in an infant stage. Just guessing.

EDIT- I was goofing a bit, but those pictures stirred up a memory. I've seen those things back in the day. Had a creek behind the house when I was a wee-jackass. They used to freak me out, they'd seem to strike like a snake if you pinched one. Angel Hair pasta with an attitiude. Always in wet areas. I really think they were a form of "lamprey', but I'm not certain.

Horsehair worm it is, you nailed it. Thanks for the name. Beneficial though as it is a parasite to certain insects. I figured it was in the nematode family as it was near a compost area in the yard, and 2" of rain this week probably made it active.

Beetle-I remember as a kid seeing dead lampreys floating down our local river after spawning. They were 2-3' long with the circle of teeth and the alien-like gills on the side. Freakish looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.