What is this called?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hardstart

May 26, 2020
Missouri
I'm working on an old church built between 1902 and 1904. While repairing the ceiling I discovered the remains of an old brick chimney that sat on cross braces up in the truss attic space. The bricks were laid on this stone which rested in place in the 2 metal cradles. At one time the stovepipe joined the stone on the bottom side. Any idea of what this stone was called?

Attachments

• chimney stone 2.jpg
    chimney stone 2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 190
  • chimney stone 1.JPG
    chimney stone 1.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 198
Ye olde thimble and ceiling support box?

Reactions: bholler
That's a new one for me. It isn't uncommon to see a chimney built on a wooden platform in an attic here but that one in new. And pretty cool actually

Big ass stone

Wow, an engineer was involved there or a mason and black smith had a lot of time on their hands. Impressive.

Yes, you don't see this every day. There definitely was some teamwork and planning. I'm going to guess that the mason probably had done this before. Some of the old churches were built by community volunteers.

Last edited: