What is this in my oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I split some oak that has been dead for a long time. It was cut from the base and got caught leaning prior to me moving in and I finally got around to you breaking it free and dropping it. A section that I split looks like this .
20190130_164606.jpg 20190130_164611.jpg

Looks like a fungus moving into insect bore holes.

Does it freeze in the winter or does it attack live trees only? I have it stacked 5ft from my house along a fence. There are a few other dead ones out in the woods behind my house assuming they will have the same stuff. I'll get those sometime this year.

I had an arborist come over a few years ago in an attempt to save our trees. He told me the fungus attacks live trees only. This specific fungus in our trees has been active in Eastern PA, Southern NY and the entire state of NJ for quite some time now. He also told me there is nothing we can do to stop it, so we had 3 giant 80+ year old red oaks taken down. Your fungus might be different.

Got a bunch like that and have been burning it..

A lot of my oak gets that fungus, nothing to worry about, burns good.

I've found a big patch of white fungus in a wound/crack and it smelled rather bad.