What is this sound after flame heats up stove? (Video)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlpineFam

Nov 14, 2020
Lombardy, Italy
So it's 3 am here in Lombardy, Italy and my husband and I are very disappointed with the stove we just installed and are discussing convection blowers.

Our pellet stove is making a loud tractor sound after the flame heats up the stove and the fan starts. It doesn't make it during loading or initially after the flame starts.

We opened it up and I made a short video.

First 5 seconds is the stove running and loading pellets, flame starting. Next 10 seconds is that awful tractor noise after it starts spinning.

We're on a "red zone" semi-lockdown so our options are very limited until restrictions are lifted.

Could we clean or oil the convection blower? If we order a new one online is it hard to replace?

We have a second pellet stove that runs quietly on the top floor, but would rather not move down to our floor.

Any hope on this one?

Update:

Woke up to a dismantled stove. My husband tightened loose bolts below the fan, cleaned it with compressed air and oiled the gears.

It now sounds like a loud hummmm and airflow.

The "TrakaTrakaTraka" like a tractor is nearly gone.

We still wonder if the noise can be reduced by replacing parts because it's still significantly louder than our pellet stove on the top floor (I never stopped to think about its noise) but at least this one now sounds more normal and bearable.

That has the same rumble sound that my stove's blower had when the sleeve bearings in the motor started to wear after the third year of use. What brand/model stove it that? That type of fan is typically very quiet other than the air they move so it's possible that the motor is defective from the factory.