What is this stove pipe size?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jerid

Sep 29, 2014
Muskego, WI
Hello, Move into a new house last year. I have a fireplace upstairs and a wood stove in the lower.
The wood Stove is a Avalon 996 freestanding. Report date is June 14, 1990 so I am posting here.

My previous house had 8inch pipe, but this has 6. Or so I thought.

The pipe from the ceiling out the roof is newer. I had it inspected and cleaned before using.
The tech said I needed a safer hearth. It's on a custom made hearth surrounded by drywall with a coating.
I am ripping out the drywall and putting in concrete board and then using brick or tile. The heart will be wider and built with proper materials as well.

This is my chance to replace the pipe from the ceiling to the stove because it's lost a lot of black color due to scratches, has a fair amount of screw holes that are old.

I went and bought some 6 pipe and it doesn't match up. I thought okay, must be 7". Couldn't find any, but found a 6 to 7 converter. That doesn't work. So I figure I better take exact measurements. (You'd think I'd do this from step one). Anyway --- 5.5 inside and 6.5 outside. The "female" is 6". I took it with me to local stores and no one could help me. I called a wood burner store, and they wanted to see it. They are an hour away. So I figured I'd check here before making that journey.

Does anyone know what this is called and if so, where I can get it?

Thank you!

IMG_3131.jpg IMG_3134.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you have double wall stove connector pipe. It has an inner 6" pipe with a jacket that provides a 1/2" air gap. This is common but I'm not sure the brand. It may be DuraVent DVL. Can you post a picture of the other end and a side view of that end?

Looks like 6" Selkirk DSP. Left pic is the end that attaches to the stove collar. Right pic is the end that slides up over the connector pipe to chimney pipe adaptor. The ribs on this upper end are covered by a band to cover the crimped end for asthetics/looks. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Edit: corrected.

Last edited:
The pipe may be Selkirk DSP. @Jerid it would help to see the other end to be sure.

Yes, that looks like 6" Selkirk DSP as moresnow suggested. Northline Express and Lowes sells it.

It can also be ordered online from Menards.
Yes and they have good pricing if you are in their area. Unfortunately they are only in the mid-west.

Yes and they have good pricing if you are in their area. Unfortunately they are only in the mid-west.
To my knowledge they will sell online to anybody at the listed price? The pipe is shipped to your door. Begreen have you experienced/heard of problems ordering from Menards online? Curious.

The last time I checked for stove pipe they kept requesting me to choose a store location, which I couldn't. There are some direct from manufacturer shipments, but the shipping calculator is wonky. I looked at a chimney flashing kit that is around $125 and the shipping to WA is $800!!

Edit: Ah, this is quite selective. I just checked on a 12" section of 6" DSP and the shipping was free!

Last edited:
The last time I checked for stove pipe they kept requesting me to choose a store location, which I couldn't. There are some direct from manufacturer shipments, but the shipping calculator is wonky. I looked at a chimney flashing kit that is around $125 and the shipping to WA is $800!!

Edit: Ah, this is quite selective. I just checked on a 12" section of 6" DSP and the shipping was free!

Interesting. I've also experienced the free shipping. There are actual stores close to me also but they don't carry that pipe on hand. All online ordering only for me.

Thanks for the tip! Menards has some great values if the shipping costs are reasonable. I haven't been on their site for a year and it looks like they have improved their online presence for certain items.