what is this thick goo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jp16

Dec 3, 2013
Massachusetts
I have a Quad Santa Fe and am enjoying it. Just curious as to what the pastey substance is that forms in the burn pot. Is it the beginning of a clinker? I am familiar with what a clinker is as I burn real charcoal in my grill and get them frequently with that.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello Jeff...... I also have a Santa Fe.
Last year I was having the same issues that you are having ... particularly with the soft wood pellets.
This year (after installing an OAK over the summer) the problem has gone away. The burn pot has been very clean with softwood AND hardwood pellets. Do you have an OAK?

Yes OAK installed. Will take pic at next clean out in a few hours... FWIW I am burning NEWPs now. Got them with the stove.

NEWPs.....should be renamed Clinkers R Us or maybe Overflowing Ashpans R Us.

Reactions: fmsm
Here are some pics. After it cools it crumbles but when warm it is like paste.

Hope the pics come out...

Attachments

• IMG_20131217_141328_879.jpg
    IMG_20131217_141328_879.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20131217_141705_656.jpg
    IMG_20131217_141705_656.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 149
I would blame New England Crapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.