What is this vent above my firebox???????

Sua Posted By Sua, Nov 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

  1. Sua

    New Member 2.

    Nov 12, 2012
    I just purchased this home and I'm confused as to why there is a vent above the firebox, Take a look at the image. Can anyone tell me what it's for AND if I can remove it?

    Any answers would be greatly appreciated:) FIREPLACE1.JPG
  2. HotCoals

    Minister of Fire 2.

    Oct 27, 2010
    Does heat come out of it?
    Is there blowers for it?
    is that unit a insert or is it just doors in front of a fireplace?
    The whole setup looks nice!
  3. Eaglecraft

    Member 2.

    Aug 18, 2010
    Eastern Idaho
    You may have a Superior "Heatform" fireplace, or a "Heatilator" fireplace, in which case the "screen" above the fireplace covers venting for heat tubes originating from the fireplace. If that is the case, you should also have cold air intakes, which may be on the back side the fireplace.

    If you have either a Heatform, or a Heatilator, you should not do anything with the heat vents behind the screen, as they are attached to a self-contained, enclosed firebox. However, if you wish, for example, to convert from your Heatform/Heatilator and install either a fireplace insert, or a free-standing woodstove, the vent tubes can be removed to allow for the installation of a SS flexible chimney liner. See http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/ In this case, the "heat tubes" are no longer functional and may be filled with non-combustible insulation, such as ROXUL. Of course, if you do cut out the heat tubes, the unit cannot be converted back to a "fireplace."

  4. blades

    Minister of Fire 2.

    Nov 23, 2008
    WI, Milw
    In the picture to the left of the fireplace I see a rheostat so I would say that there is indeed a blower system on that. It also looks fairly recent so before doing anything other than having the chimney inspected and cleaned, I would be firing it up. you might be surprised as to the output ( hint burn with the doors closed I believe combustion air from the room is not needed as it likely has external air intakes.) You also might be surprised to find out that the flue system is metal all the way up. I am not familar with Heatform, Heatilator was/is a brand name from Lenox. A little investigation of the unit might supply the model/mfg. I have a friend with something similar heating his home with it. His is 2 years old so it is of the current more efficient models.

Share This Page