What is this?

BaldyRookie

Dec 4, 2019
Mt Baldy, CA
I appreciate any help on this. Too white and loose to be creosote? We're new to wood burning stoves and just moved into a new place with a Defiant 1610 installed in a fireplace. Have gone through about two weeks of using it, and just discovered this pile of gray "rice krispies" behind the stove. I call them that because each grain is about that size with similar texture as the cereal. Crush it with your fingers and it resembles ash. We hear a raining noise every once in a while, and I assume it's more of it coming down. Ash in the bottom tray is nice and fluffy. We've stopped using it until I know what this is coming down the chimney!

Attachments

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I'm not an insert guy, which I think is what were looking at. Is that insulation that someone filled around the chimney liner.

BaldyRookie

Dec 4, 2019
Mt Baldy, CA
It looks to me like it's fiberglass rope (like the kind used for stove door gaskets) around the liner to flat metal sheet/plate. I think rockwool is what is in the back of the fireplace brick.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Looks like a poorly done block off plate is leaking poured in insulation from around the liner.

Last edited:

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
It looks like loose fill perlite to me used to insulate the liner.