What is Your Annual Cost of Heating and Hot Water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpStateNY

Feeling the Heat
May 4, 2008
Catskill Mountains
What is your cost for annual heat and domestic hot water?

I have a 1900 square foot raised ranch built in 1964.

My annual cost for heat and domestic hot water is 600 gallons of fuel oil and 3 tons of premium pellets.

I have daughters that like to take long showers and clean a lot of cloths with hot water. ==c

Is this about right or should I go research where is all the heat going ?

Last edited:
In a normal winter I burn 50 gallons of Propane and 3 tons of pellets for heat and hot water. My house is 2250 Sq ft on one floor no basement. We use primarily cold water for washing clothes. Family room heated to 73 (832 sq ft) and the rest of the house to 68. I also heat my workshop when I'm working in it. It's another 1250 sq ft. Don't know how many days I work in it per year. I would guess about 25 or 30 6 hour days. This year cause of the colder weather my guess is pellets are right on and Propane will be somewhere between 550 and 600 gallons.
Ron

Typical year
3 ton Cubix pellets 1000 dollars
4 cords of hard Maple. Oak mix figured it out to 60 dollars for gas and oil
Oil tank empty brand new 8 years ago never had a drop of oil in it
no idea what it costs to heat water power to tank on 5 am to 7:30 am
7:30 pm to 11 pm Have never run out of hot water Hydro cheepest here 7 pm to 8 am

Wow! 333 dollars a ton! I buy good pellets at a reasonable price. 3 tons @ 190 = 570. 500 gallons of propane at 1.40 a gallon = 700. Total for an average year = 1270 dollars. This year add another 140 at most.
Ron

My house is 2200 square feet. Before I got the pellet stove, I burned about 600 gallons of fuel oil a year. After installing the pellet stove, I burned about 150 gallons of oil /year and 3 tons of pellets.
I keep the thermostat set at 65 F during the day and 60 F at night.
My hot water is electric, so I don't know how much I'm spending on hot water, but we wash clothes with cold water and take short showers, I also have the hot water heater temperature turned down so I don't think I'm spending very much.

We heat about 30,000 CF (we have a log cabin type of home, so area is not accurate as it has very tall ceilings w/ loft) and burn between 15,300 and 17,500 lbs of well seasoned (4+ years) wood a winter and use between 100-120 gallons of LP a YEAR. We have an LP furnace, clothes drier and water heater. House is pretty much always between 72°-75°. I have a tempering tank setup with a water coil on the rear of the firebox which preheats my DHW in winter. We pretty much get free hot water in winter.

This house was built extremely well for the mid 80s. Very well sealed. Strategically placed trees and eaves to shield from high summer sun while letting winter sun in, and at the end of the driveway it's amazing how much wind is blocked by these trees.

So far it's been 3-3.5 tons of pellets a year, and this year is looking right on track. Shoot for 70F at the center of the house. I always wait for sales so I never have paid more than $200 a ton. So about $600 there or a little more.

Got an LP boiler for whole house heat, couldn't afford to use it if I wanted. Also not fond of having a pipe in every room that WILL leak sooner or later. Dryer, stove, and water heater are LP. Also a 7-8k Generac which is LP, it runs a test once a week and otherwise runs when the power goes out so maybe a couple hours every month or two. I fill it once a year, typically fill it in August when the price is down, so far it's stayed below $2 a gallon. And usually takes about 300-350 gallons so again about $600 or a little more.

Before pellets, i burned 1600 gal of propane in 12 months. That would be for hot water, dryer, and cooktop. After my pellet stove installation, I now use 300 gal a year of propane. I havent used the gas furnace in 8 years. I go thru 3 to 4 tons of pellets.

Thanks for the post. Looks like my usage is on the high side.

same size original r/r, now has complete finished basement and add on. when we bought it in '99 was listed as 4400/sq. ft. H/W baseboard with H/W tank off the boiler. ave last 2-3 years 800 gal/yr. basement apt. is always heated for 87yr. old mom-in-law. upstairs aided by Jotul F100. summer H/W averages .65-.75 gal/day . use 180 days with no heat, breaks down to 135 gal for H/W and 650+ gal for heat. add the 2 ton lewis brick. before stove in 2005 burned 1150-1400 gal/yr with two kids in house, today just 3 of us. originally this is a 1970's electric house, we probably need additional insulation.

same size original r/r, now has complete finished basement and add on. when we bought it in '99 was listed as 4400/sq. ft. H/W baseboard with H/W tank off the boiler. ave last 2-3 years 800 gal/yr. basement apt. is always heated for 87yr. old mom-in-law. upstairs aided by Jotul F100. summer H/W averages .65-.75 gal/day . use 180 days with no heat, breaks down to 135 gal for H/W and 650+ gal for heat. add the 2 ton lewis brick. before stove in 2005 burned 1150-1400 gal/yr with two kids in house, today just 3 of us. originally this is a 1970's electric house, we probably need additional insulation.
We've been in Ballston Spa 3 winters now in old house using electric water heater.

Average is 941 KWH each month $126.
Heating with oil... baseboards and radiators average oil each year 600 gallons.
I know we can do better with insulation and door upgrades.
We're on a well and limit showers and use cold water wash for clothes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk