What just happened! PB-105 filled the basement with smoke and scared the family!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

u4015

Nov 22, 2008
Cromwell, Ct.
What just happened!

I was just sitting in the library and heard a loud bang. My son comes running in and say the boiler just blew up (minor exaggeration). Next the fire alarms go off and the family is outside in the cold. I go down to the basement to find the boiler room full of smoke, the PB-105 lit and the ash pan full of pellets. The exhaust is billowing smoke outside.

The controls are set at 3.5 for the feed rate, min temp at 155 max at 175.

With the exception of the somke and the bang everything seemed normal!

My questions are!

1-Is this something to be expected from the PB-105?
2-Is there something to be done about it?
3-Is there an inharent danger to this thing doing this?
4-Is my wife going to make me put my new toy outside?

P.S. I told the family to come back inside

It was cleaned by me the week before. I cleaned the exhaust pipe, primary and secondary burn chambers, the ignitor area where the fines collect and the ash pan and the exhaust blower motor. I scrape the burn pot every couple of days

Then you're ignitor is probably weak Assuming the stove is clean and the draft is strong......
You're ash pan having pellets in it is a tip off that it took too long to ignite and probably filled the stove FULL of smoke and combustible gasses when they finally ignited these gasses flashed and caused a mini explosion.....pyrolysis......The exhaust billowing smoke after ignition is also a sign of this......

Status
Not open for further replies.