What kind of discount to sweeps get on parts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
I've posted several times before with questions regarding installing a new Napolean stove - got the hearth built (thanks to replies), figured out best way to vent (again, thanks to replies), figured out parts I need (yet again, thanks to replies).

I finally got around to pricing out the components I need (both from ventpipe.com and another online source). I come up with about $900 worth of parts. Now, I had four potential installers come out to give me an estimate before I decided to do it myself. Two never got back to me, one provided a back of the envelope quote and the other actually wrote somethign down. Those quotes were for $1150 and $1200, respectivley.

My question is this - are those guys getting a substantial discount on the part over what the general public can purchase parts for at a place like ventpipe.com? How could they afford to do the job for only a few hundred dollars? After totalling up the parts it's almost not worth my time to do it myself, but I'd be paranoid that for the prices they quoted me they'd either do (1) terrible job or (2) not use all the correct parts.

Thoughts?

My sweep gets a 15% discount on all parts and stoves. So it appears that the quotes given you are about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.