What kind of Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilhelm911

Jan 27, 2013
Eastern Pennsylvania
I got some free wood from a friend. Look like oak to me, but what kind? I know its not red oak I am leaning towards white or pin, but I don't know the difference between them. Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363713150.706369.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363713175.626267.jpg

Definitely not white oak.

Chestnut? Bark doesn't look right though....

The bark looks like its mostly rubbed off. But the shapes of the furrows look like it might be Chinquapin oak. Which is in the white oak group. I can only tell Chestnut and Red oak from just the splits. I need leaves and twigs and acorns to tell the rest.
The bark looks like white oak group but the split looks like red oak.
The bark has flaked off which isnt Red oak.

Red oaks have pointy leaves and smell funky when I split. White oaks have rounded leaves and smell good when I split. That's all the thought I put into it. Burn on.

White Oak

I've had white oak heartwood was barely red and that seems to be the case locally
the little bit of outer bark that is left on those rounds looks like it could be white oak.

Reactions: jeff_t
Okay stamp a big "D" on my forehead for "Dummy" cause it looks like cherry with the bark scrubbed down some to me.;em

Reactions: Applesister
I could use a few cord of that wood!

Yup. Afraid we may not make it to 2020 on the wood we have now. ;)

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Looks like Chinquapin Oak to me too but the inside looks like Cherry. ;hm

Looks like it had vines on it too. More of a Cherry indicator.

I appreciate all the input. It is definitely a type of oak. It does have the vanilla-ish smell to it that Scotty mentioned. Either way I'm happy to have it. I'm just trying to learn how to recognize the different types of oak out there.

Reactions: ScotO
100% some variety of white oak. Good stuff.

Reactions: jeff_t and ScotO
Walnut. The deep furrrows are worn down.

OMG!! ;)

Pauly is wearing walnut-colored glasses.

Wow, if that is white oak, color me confused. Apparently white oak varies a ton more than I would have guessed. Ours here definitely never gets that dark.

Learn something new every day I guess.

White oak does vary a lot from tree to tree. I've seen some very light ones and some very dark ones.

That might not be "white oak", but oaks generally fall into two buckets: "reds" and "whites". Red includes, red, pin, black, etc. White includes white, burr oak, swamp oak, chestnut oak, etc. Need some leaves to nail it down to specifically which...

White oak does vary a lot from tree to tree. I've seen some very light ones and some very dark ones.

That might not be "white oak", but oaks generally fall into two buckets: "reds" and "whites". Red includes, red, pin, black, etc. White includes white, burr oak, swamp oak, chestnut oak, etc. Need some leaves to nail it down to specifically which...

I don't

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.