What kind of stove is this thing?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saurian

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Madison Heights, Michigan
Greetings :) Glad I stumbled across this site. Well, let me give you all a little background information. I'm 23, grew up camping and such, well versed in matters of lumbering and fire-building and such. I live in suburban Detroit, we have a woodstove fireplace insert which quite effectively heats the house to the point that the furnace doesn't need to come on at all, so long as the fire stays fed. This is in a 2 story house, and it's not a central location (thank you ceiling fans!) I work for a tree service at the moment, so I get all the wood that I can stand to take home and split, so there's my contribution to the parents keeping the gas bills down :D

Now, here's my problem. This stove, I cannot find the original owners manual, I don't know how old it is, we got it used from a house down the street when they moved. We've had it for, jeez, probably at least 15 years now, I really can't remember. The plaque on the damper handle (which is missing) said either Old Hickory, or Ol' Hickory. I searched and searched online for that make, but have turned up nothing. Then, I looked inside the door, cast in it is Sun Belt. Again, I searched for that, nothing.

It is symmetrical, has a built in blower, switch has positions for ON, OFF, and temperature controlled, respectively. The blower is mounted in the back, motor has a dual output shaft, so there is the blower fan inside the woodstove, and a smaller fan to cool the motor outside the woodstove. Has anyone heard of the Ol(d) Hickory/Sun Belt brand, or if this is a model, what the manufacturer is? Any help would be very appreciated. I assume it's a Michigan, or around Michigan brand, as I have seen one other one in my lifetime at the Cranbrook nature center. Please forgive the clarity of the picture linked below, my camera's having an off-day.

stove.jpg

Old hickory was one of many "southern" stove brands which were similar to the Buck stove. The rear mount blower is also taken from the Buck design.

The manufacturer would be long our of biz, but you might be able to get some info or parts at Stove Parts Unlimited.

Thank you so much for the information! I googled Old Hickory Wood stove, fireplace insert, any combination you could think of, and didn't come up with squat...

It's the motor that I am mostly concerned about. It's running, and running well, but it is also OLD! And as of late, it seems to be running a bit noisier, and moving a bit less air, it has been cleaned and oiled faithfully every year, but I just think it would be a good idea to have a spare motor on hand, in case this one fraps out...

There is a listing of various motors at stove parts unlimited for the Buck brand. To my knowledge, it's not a three speed motor, but at the same time, there is a small button, which I always assumed was a circuit breaker of sorts, under the switch, that could well be a broken off knob, have to check and see. At any rate, is there any way of knowing which motor I would need without pulling the stove out and seeing what I can see, or is my best bet to wait till the heating season ends, and take it up to my local fireplace and woodstove parts dealer?

If you pull the motor out take it to Grainger and get it replaced. If you don't have a Grainger account then the Stove shop would be best.

Hmm... We have a Grainger branch in Troy. Can I just walk in as John Q. Public and see about a motor? Failing that, stove shop works too... Either way, as I can't directly order one and be sure I am getting the right one, I'll wait till May when I can pull out the stove and take the motor out shopping with me...

Thanks for the help :)

Saurian said:
Hmm... We have a Grainger branch in Troy. Can I just walk in as John Q. Public and see about a motor? Failing that, stove shop works too... Either way, as I can't directly order one and be sure I am getting the right one, I'll wait till May when I can pull out the stove and take the motor out shopping with me...

Thanks for the help :)

Just tell them a name of a large company in your area and that you work there.
They will let you buy and pay cash using your employers account.
I do it all the time.

Print up a few Avery brand business card. Avery is a company that makes blank labels and blank business cards made to fit your printer. Your computer probably has the templates allready (microsoft word?). They also have templates on their website you can download.

http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=product.HierarchyList&node=10211394&catalogcode=WEB01

You can make up any type of business name you want. "Saurian Enterprises" sounds good. Just include your address and phone number. Keep 5 or 6 in your wallet. I think places like staples and office depot carry them. If Grainger asks for a tax ID number, tell them you want to pay the sales tax.

Did you consider taking the motor apart, cleaning it, checking the bearings and brushes? Probably just needs that. Brushes can be picked up cheap. Most bearings have numbers printed on them, or you just measure them (and the brushes too). It will make it esy to find replacements.

Check mcmaster-carr online as well. They should have a new motor, bearings, and brushes. Heres the link: http://www.mcmaster.com/index.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.