what kind of wood burning inset is this and can i replace the front w/ glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wendy7

May 20, 2017
usa
Ok, found the source of the river called, "all things wood burning!" and so glad I did. I just bought an old (1940's) farm house with fireplace that someone at some point installed a wood-burning inset. I don't know what kind and if I have any option for changing the front doors to glass so I can actually watch the fire without opening it this Winter. Any ideas? It's 33x22.
IMG_20170520_130329.jpg IMG_20170520_125554.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_125228.jpg
    IMG_20170520_125228.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
Opportunity knocks. New house. New toy time! Seriously consider upgrading to a new/newer unit:). No offense but your current unit looks to be getting rather long in the tooth to be spending any moola on! If there even is a easy, viable glass option. I would also guess it's a good chance you may need a chimney liner. Plenty of options available I would think. Great efficiency from a new stove, and your glass door with a view of the flame show. Win, Win....

Opportunity knocks. New house. New toy time! Seriously consider upgrading to a new/newer unit:). No offense but your current unit looks to be getting rather long in the tooth to be spending any moola on! If there even is a easy, viable glass option. I would also guess it's a good chance you may need a chimney liner. Plenty of options available I would think. Great efficiency from a new stove, and your glass door with a view of the flame show. Win, Win....
ah! thank you so much! that's exactly the advice I need! I am don a budget and spending 300-400 per month on electric heat this past winter did me in! I wasn't sure why I couldn't get any viable heat out of this unit; i repaired the fan plug myself but was afraid it was going to spew crap all over the living room!

what would you suggest as a budget option, and does this old one have any trade-in value for the metal?

A new insert will give you more heat for less wood and have a window.

There's a reason that you don't see threads debating whether pre-EPA stoves are better than modern ones on here. :)

A new insert will give you more heat for less wood and have a window.

There's a reason that you don't see threads debating whether pre-EPA stoves are better than modern ones on here. :)
ah, so i'm assuming you've identified this a pre-EPA ? thanks!!

Try using the search function here as well and you will find plenty to occupy yourself with. There is a wide range of models/prices and stove performance considerations to learn about. You may have better luck with responses if you start a new thread ("Help me choose the correct stove") requesting advice on what stove would fit your needs. Those threads always develop lively participation;lol Be ready to provide pertinent house info. such as geographical location, square footage, fireplace location, house insulation quality, old or new windows, how much do you intend to rely on stove heat, do you have wood that is correctly seasoned (some variety's can take 2-3 years of seasoning)? etc. All this will play a part in what stove fits your bill. 3-400 a month is a distant memory for me. Thankfully!

Don't bother considering glass for the old insert, it would never stay clean even if you could do it.

There are several budget EPA wood inserts in the $1000-1400 range. Look at the Englander 13NCi, Drolet Escape 1800 and Century 2500 for starters. Whether they will fit will depend on the fireplace's firebox size. The chimney will also need a liner which will add quite a bit to the initial expense. But after that the only cost is the wood and cleaning of the flue. Modern stoves are going to insist on having fully seasoned wood to burn well. Now would be the time to try to get the most seasoned wood possible.

thanks so much! great advice!! any clues as to how much dough it'll set me back to get the old taken out and hauled away?

thanks so much! great advice!! any clues as to how much dough it'll set me back to get the old taken out and hauled away?

Don't know how it is in your area, but we usually remove the old and dispose of it as part of the installation of the new. Try to get someone to throw it in as part of the deal, it's not much more difficult to take an insert out than it is to bring one in, and they will already have the needed tools.

Don't know how it is in your area, but we usually remove the old and dispose of it as part of the installation of the new. Try to get someone to throw it in as part of the deal, it's not much more difficult to take an insert out than it is to bring one in, and they will already have the needed tools.
very cool! thx for the tip!!

I gave away our old insert and let the boys carry it away.

If you have a couple reasonably strong guys handy, sell it for scrap and make a few bucks.

Alternately, put it at the end of the driveway and advertise it on craigslist/freecycle. It'll be gone the same day, either from scrappers or someone who wants a backyard stove.