What kind of wood is this??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2018
Starting my second season with a wood stove and learning how different various wood types burn. My wood guy delivers a hardwood mix, so I get all kinds. I noticed some very particular looking logs in the last delivery which I put aside for my first burn.

The logs are well seasoned, have no bark and have a tight grain. This wood has a slow even burn. It does not flame up like the gates of hell, no matter where I adjust the air feed. Doesn't get as hot as some wood but still plenty hot. Very easy to manage the stove with this wood.

Posted some pictures. Anyone hazard a guess to the species?

Thanks
GB

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 298
I can't tell you what type of wood but it looks awfully similar to the wood supplied in campsites in upstate NY. Maybe some type of hardwood as when I camp hardwood burns very slow and evenly.

I can't judge the color well (may be too orange), but the structure looks like locust without bark?
The little "spots" in 3.jpg look like oak to me - though the rest does not.

Not sure of your locale. Zip codes dont mean much to me with exception of one. The wood could be pine, hemlock and or hopefully BL.

Not sure of your locale. Zip codes dont mean much to me with exception of one. The wood could be pine, hemlock and or hopefully BL.

Location is CT.
It’s not pine. Too heavy and burns slower. I don’t t think it’s Oak either.

Locust. 100 percent sure. Best firewood you can get. If your locust is like mine, it has no bark because it is dead standing. That is why it is so dry.
Twenty years ago a plague swept through this area and killed all the locust and all I have left is dead standing.

Thanks everyone for your reply! BL it is. Sure burns nice. Too bad I only have enough to finish the week.

That is particularly good locust. The reputation that locust has is that it won't rot. It will, in fact, rot, but it takes a long long time.

I have encountered quite a bit of locust that was down on the ground, had been down maybe 5 years, and it was half rotten. No good for me to use.
Your locust looks pristine. Next load you get, tell your wood guy you will take all the locust he can get.

Looks like Slippery Elm to me but could very well be Black Locust.

I burn 80% Black Locust -- so I too agree you may have Black Locust there. Sit back and enjoy. Best to save it for the real cold in Jan / Feb.

Reactions: D8Chumley
White ash

Hoping it's ok to hijack this thread.
I got 2 pieces of this wood in a pile I got. The (what's left of the? ) bark is fibrous. The inside is yellow greenish.
Not very light in weight.
This has been laying outside, uncovered for three years.

Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_154216095.jpg
    IMG_20201104_154216095.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20201104_154236754.jpg
    IMG_20201104_154236754.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20201104_154206738.jpg
    IMG_20201104_154206738.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 136
Poplar, except for the part about it laying outside for a few years.....
Googling that, it seems to match the color indeed.
Laying outside was in top a stack of mostly red oak, uncovered, with leaves and debris accumulating between the logs. Even the oak has 1/2" of soft wood ("gone") on the outside; it started to rot already... These 2 logs (of likely poplar) were properly intact, though. Surprising for poplar ...

Thanks!

I like the locust review. DH and I split a fair amount of Honey Locust this past spring and it is drying. After the derecho we had across Iowa this summer, we have soooooo much hard maple and hackberry down for processing. But in our woods there is live locust for the future cutting, if we live long enough.