What kind of wood is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
It’s coniferous, thought it was some kind of fir but not sure. Located in the southern interior of BC, Canada. Was standing dead but a bit wetter in the middle of the bigger rounds than expected (was about 12% on the smaller round that I pulled out before bucking it up).

Any ideas? Thanks!

7969EE51-399D-450E-9CC6-D6A9DFEF31DD.jpeg 70622AD0-7DBA-41EE-8119-C7C31FEC21F5.jpeg

I'm also guessing fir.

Reactions: burnt03
Fir, with a couple small rounds of beetle killed pine also in the photo.
The beetle killed pine is my usual go-to but saw the big dead stand and got greedy. Wetter than I’d hoped, think it’s going to have to sit off to the side and maybe feed a piece in each fire

The beetle killed pine is my usual go-to but saw the big dead stand and got greedy. Wetter than I’d hoped, think it’s going to have to sit off to the side and maybe feed a piece in each fire

I burn a lot of beetle killed as well, but I'll take spruce or fir that's standing dead too, although we don't have much fir around here. I bet if you stack that fir somewhere dry in the breeze it'll be pretty close to ready by freeze up, especially if you split it first.