What liner for existing metal chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpmcswain

Nov 2, 2020
Western NC
I'm about to install a new wood stove that will rear vent to a tee and up an 8" double walled straight metal chimney. The current fireplace is an old heatilator from the 80's. The chimney is one of those large wooden structures with the double walled metal chimney in the center. As far as I understand I will need a chimney liner because the chimney I have is not rated for the kind of heat that the wood stove will produce. My question is, is it ok to buy one of the 6" flexible liners and just shove it down my existing 8" straight metal chimney? Does it need any kind of spacers to keep if from touching the walls of the 8" chimney? The current 8" chimney pipe has spacers on the outside that keep it centered inside the larger pipe so the walls of the pipes never touch each other. Just wondering if I need to recreate that situation with my new 6" liner. Hope that all made sense! Thanks in advance

Is this a ZeroClearance fireplace? Please post some pictures of the current setup. The word heatilator is sometimes used generically.

Is this a ZeroClearance fireplace? Please post some pictures of the current setup. The word heatilator is sometimes used generically.
20211011_175404.jpg 20211011_180844.jpg

It is definitely a heatilator. It has a name plate on it with the model number. I'm not sure what zero clearance means, but I can tell you that it is basically a sheet metal box with fake brick panels on the inside of the sheet metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a zero clearance fireplace. Sorry but I don't think this plan will work. The fireplace was not designed for alterations. What is the model number? What does the manual say?

I am in the same situation. I just removed my zero clearance fireplace and am installing a stove insert in its place. I am not sure if can run my new 6" pipe and adapt it to the existing 8" like in the picture. Would this cause any problems? Or do I need to run a 6" up inside the existing 8"? Any info would be appreciated.

I am in the same situation. I just removed my zero clearance fireplace and am installing a stove insert in its place. I am not sure if can run my new 6" pipe and adapt it to the existing 8" like in the picture. Would this cause any problems? Or do I need to run a 6" up inside the existing 8"? Any info would be appreciated.
We need more info to know for sure but chances are you need a new chimney

I just removed my zero clearance fireplace and am installing a stove insert in its place.
What is the make and model of the replacement? A stove insert goes into an existing masonry fireplace typically.