What pellets do you like this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't hate, but I really enjoy burning this year's Fireside Ultra.

No other years experience here, but they seem to be fine pellets so far.

Reactions: Ranger72
Timber Heat sucks. 10 below here tonight. I did pick up a couple test bags at the beginning of the year going to throw a bag of green supreme in tonight and see how that does. Stove will be maxed. It's held up well so far. House was 66 and stove has brought it up to 68 since i's been turned up after work.

Not sure yet, so far I burned north Americans, stove chow, fire side ultras, tsc brand in the red bag and just filled the hopper with greenways, still have cheat river and green team to try.

Timber Heat sucks. 10 below here tonight. I did pick up a couple test bags at the beginning of the year going to throw a bag of green supreme in tonight and see how that does. Stove will be maxed. It's held up well so far. House was 66 and stove has brought it up to 68 since i's been turned up after work.
-14 here tonight so far ! Burning blazer in my Harman p35i stove temp 7 and first floor is at 74 degrees

Cubex has been amazing this year. Next to no ash.

Reactions: robert65
Heatr's

Hamer's for Jan & Feb, otherwise Presto's. $61 / ton price difference.

Reactions: the pony boy
So far this year I'm liking the Somersets. The Greenways aren't bad either, very hot but not as clean as the Sets.

Reactions: Augmister
This year I have Somersets that I like a lot.

I've been burning Nations Choice - Heat is ok but there's a lot more ash. I'll be cleaning the stove again by the weekend.

Picked up some Power Pellets as well. I've had good luck with them in the past.

I usually use NEWP. Place down the street from my house sells them so it is a convenience thing. But they border on almost $300/ton. You would think the price would drop with oil prices dropping. (cost me half to fill my oil tank compared to last year) I can get Green Supreme for much less. Are they the same pellet?

I am in Poughkeepsie and all the HD's up here have Green Supreme and Heaters. I was afraid of the heaters. What do you think of them so far?

I love them. Great heat, pretty clean, fluffy ash, and reasonable fines. I also like the short length and that they are a hardwood/softwood blend.

While I liked the GS about 3 years ago, this year's gave lesser heat in my stove and were incredibly dirty. I decided after burning a bag or two of each at the beginning of the season to stick with Heatr's and am happy I did.

I love them. Great heat, pretty clean, fluffy ash, and reasonable fines. I also like the short length and that they are a hardwood/softwood blend.

While I liked the GS about 3 years ago, this year's gave lesser heat in my stove and were incredibly dirty. I decided after burning a bag or two of each at the beginning of the season to stick with Heatr's and am happy I did.
I found the heat'rs to be about an inch average, which is about 2x as long as FSUs, how long is a 'long' pellet? [emoji15]

I found the heat'rs to be about an inch average, which is about 2x as long as FSUs, how long is a 'long' pellet? [emoji15]

I agree that FSUs are uniformly shorter, which I liked a lot over the past 2 season when I burned almost only FSU. But, alas, none to be had around here this year.

My experience with the Heatr's does not match yours, however. I just grabbed a handful and sorted them out. 3 at 1"; over 10 at .5"; over 20 at .25". Sorry no photo but one of my kids "borrowed" the cable to download pics to the computer.

But it is of no moment. We all have different experiences.

I've been doing LaCretes and I like them, they're a little pricey but the heat is good, and the stove runs pretty clean. Ash is about average.... nothing special.

I am in Poughkeepsie and all the HD's up here have Green Supreme and Heaters. I was afraid of the heaters. What do you think of them so far?

No problems so far with the Green Supreme, also burned a 1/2 ton Heat'rs (no problem but they have an odd smell) and 2 tons of Stove Chow. They're all pretty much the same, all $249 ton at HD. Not much choice in this area from all other suppliers. I haven't checked on TSC in Patterson, DK what they have or if it is any good.
No way I was paying $300 a ton this year for Barefoot or anything else, cold day like today I burn the dead dinosaurs too. Getting close to the tipping point between pellets and oil......

No problems so far with the Green Supreme, also burned a 1/2 ton Heat'rs (no problem but they have an odd smell) and 2 tons of Stove Chow. They're all pretty much the same, all $249 ton at HD. Not much choice in this area from all other suppliers. I haven't checked on TSC in Patterson, DK what they have or if it is any good.
No way I was paying $300 a ton this year for Barefoot or anything else, cold day like today I burn the dead dinosaurs too. Getting close to the tipping point between pellets and oil......

Not a fan of the Stove Chow..... burnt them this year for a week and the heat was OK but the ash was ridiculous, I had more ash in my stove from 1 day of burning SC as I had from 3 days of any other pellet. I agree with not paying $300 a ton for pellets but I wish I had the oil information 5 months ago when I paid $299 a ton not knowing that oil prices are incredibly low this year. The pellet shortage last year scared me this year into buying 6 tons over the summer... I've been keeping the stove on but not cranking it because when temps are this low there is no point, my stove becomes a space heater for the living room, I'm sure it helps with the rest of the house but why piss through pellets when oil is so inexpensive right now?

Further proof that there is no consistency. Ash doesn't seem to be high the Chow's I've burned so far, no worse then the Heat'rs or GS. Last year I burned Energex white bags and they were the same as far as ash content. When I crack open the next ton of Chow's hopefully they'll be as good as what I've burned already.
My layout works out well for the pellet stove keeping the house warm. I only turn on oil furnace when temps are consistently below freezing (like it is now).
Sucks that we have to gamble on what to buy in order to keep warm each year......

Further proof that there is no consistency. Ash doesn't seem to be high the Chow's I've burned so far, no worse then the Heat'rs or GS. Last year I burned Energex white bags and they were the same as far as ash content. When I crack open the next ton of Chow's hopefully they'll be as good as what I've burned already.
My layout works out well for the pellet stove keeping the house warm. I only turn on oil furnace when temps are consistently below freezing (like it is now).
Sucks that we have to gamble on what to buy in order to keep warm each year......

Same with me, when temps are below 20 degrees for days on end the stove doesn't keep the house very warm , oil is needed.

This is only the second year with my stove, Harman Accentra, and I love it. Learned the hard way this year to get out of the gate early when buying pellets. So I had to buy a ton of Tractor Supply Company brand. Burned OK, and gave out some good heat, but didn't burn very clean and there was a lot of dust in the bag. Then bought some O'Malley Premium hardwood pellets which I had good luck with last year. Let me tell ya, I think I got a bad batch. Had a lot of dust, long pellets, and they looked darker than normal. Like they had gotten wet and then dried out. Didn't burn very hot and went through half a ton in no time. So I decided to try the Green Supreme and so far have been happy. Burns hot, very little dust in the bag, uniformed pellets, and low ash.